• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Bottle Sterilisation

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

After a discussion with Nigel from The Nutrient Company about my all in one solution going cloudy I'm going to put a bit more effort into sterilising the dosing bottles I store it in.

How do you sterilise yours?

Best Regards,
John

Hi John
What ingredients are you using?
hoggie

Still a fan of Jame's all in one DIY.

But my mixes always seem to go cloudy after a month or so..... The discussion with Nigel actually focuses more on the compositions of the different traces and relative balance of the liquid there of but actually what I got out of it was a reminder that I am very slack in cleaning the bottles between use. With the possibility of a bacterial bloom in the bottles rather then a sedimentation of the solutions as the cleating agents break down.

Hi John
I had the same problem....so could well be a sterilisation issue!
I used some liquid carbon to swish out the bottles....the cloudiness doesn't seem so bad in the All in One bottle now....minor white bacteria bloom in the bottom!
Strangely enough I made up a Trace bottle at the same time which has no cloudiness!
So could be a combination of the breakdown of the cleating compound and a unclean container causing the issue!
Cheers
hoggie

Hi John
I had the same problem....so could well be a sterilisation issue!
I used some liquid carbon to swish out the bottles....the cloudiness doesn't seem so bad in the All in One bottle now....minor white bacteria bloom in the bottom!
Strangely enough I made up a Trace bottle at the same time which has no cloudiness!
So could be a combination of the breakdown of the cleating compound and a unclean container causing the issue!
Cheers
hoggie

That stuff at the bottom rings a bell. :)

My first instinct was the recipe was very exact and due to my scales only reading to one decimal point i may be unbalancing the mix. but since then i've gone back through and read the full info again and spoken to nigel and the composition being slightly off doesn't really matter if the potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid are added. so being i'm following (and have been for the many years ive used it) the recipe I'm looking to other reasons why it's clouding.

Anyone else have this same issue using the DIY all-in-one recipe from James site?

Cheers,
John

Surely, the all in one solution must have potassium sorbate and pH reducer (ascorbic acid) or else it will go mouldy despite all the sterilisation and cleaning. This is as stated by the chelate manufactures, if you wish to store mixed up micro chelates.

Surely, the all in one solution must have potassium sorbate and pH reducer (ascorbic acid) or else it will go mouldy despite all the sterilisation and cleaning. This is as stated by the chelate manufactures, if you wish to store mixed up micro chelates.

Yup. They are in the recipe.

Indeed...John and my mix have both Potassium sorbate & Ascorbic acid added to The All in One Solution!
It could be caused by natural daylight maybe?
hoggie
That will effect it but i get the same effect on bottles that don't see the light of day and those that actually sit in windows.

Back