• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DOOA Terrabase M & L

VarunA

Hi,
This terra base has been running for3y now. I had a bunch of orchids which died, but a few survived and started thriving after I moved the terra base from my cold basement into the bedroom/warmer area. Now it is my bedside lamp/setup. Until today, I had housed the large terra base in a smaller 20x20x35 Neo glass air. It definitely looked claustrophobic. I finally was able to find a dooa terra 30x30x45used from a friend and updated the setup.

Old setup
53477646605_964a96c9b6_h.jpg
53477378448_afb77dc3ed_b.jpg

New tank/home for the terra base L

53476330942_7c4971af02_h.jpg
53477234981_16dccd9100_h.jpg
53477646005_d5c604bbb2_h.jpg
53477377903_10cc4365a0_h.jpg
53477234551_cb94a796ba_h.jpg

cheers,

V

Thanks! The main base layer is Christmas moss ...both have some random terrestrial mosses as well. The fern going wild is bolbitis heterocilia....forming spore fronds like crazy and overrunning everything. There are a few lepanthes species like gargoyla, calodycton, caprimulgus....dendrobium cuthbertsonii, dendrobium 'another Papua New Guinea species I forgot'.....mediocalcar decoratum, some fissidens nobilis. :)

Beautiful, love the lepanthes 😍

Thanks! The main base layer is Christmas moss ...both have some random terrestrial mosses as well. The fern going wild is bolbitis heterocilia....forming spore fronds like crazy and overrunning everything. There are a few lepanthes species like gargoyla, calodycton, caprimulgus....dendrobium cuthbertsonii, dendrobium 'another Papua New Guinea species I forgot'.....mediocalcar decoratum, some fissidens nobilis. :)

Do the Lepanthes calodictyon do well with a more or less consistent soak from the terra base?

Always liked it, never kept it. Don’t want to kill it if I get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the Lepanthes calodictyon do well with a more or less consistent soak from the terra base?

Always liked it, never kept it. Don’t want to kill it if I get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBH I have been growing lepanthes for over 15y and I have killed way too many to count. Although some I have going for at least 5-6y now in my tank/grow tent. The one I put on this terra base didn't grow at all (used to make a leaf once in every3-4 months) and would drop its older leaf when it made a new one. As with most orchids, I would air on the side of keeping it a bit drier. Also note it tends to be a more intermediate conditions orchid which may like warmer temps than some other ones. I fill the terra base up once in every 3wks to a month. I remove the base...drain the water and refill with fresh water (alongside general cleaning of the tank). So far that seems to be working well.

Back