• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does this require a tank reseal ?

Shashank

Seedling
Hi,

I new here and just signed up today, so hi everyone. I've had a planted tank for a while now (2+ years) which had a bad algae outbreak a year or so ago. It was mainly BBA and Green Algae and it took me a while before I could get the algae under control. However, while cleaning the tank a few days ago I noticed that some Green Algae has seeped under the inner silicone layer and is quite close to the seam holding the two glass panes.

I've attached a few pics of one such spot and have about 3 such spots where the front glass meets the side glass, no issues with the back glass at all. Also, the silicone seam holding the glass panes has zero bubbles or signs of seepage as can be seen in the pic.

I've tried to remove the algae using a blade but its hard to get at and i'm worried it may damage the silicone further.

Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg

My questions are
  • Will this cause a leak eventually ? I've read that the inner layer is only just insurance and as long as the outer layer shows no signs of damage its safe
  • If it will cause a leak in future, should I just do a reseal now than wait for signs of seepage ?
  • If I do need to reseal, can I scrape off the inner layer alone and reapply leaving the silicone holding the glass panes as it is ?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

shashank is online now Report Post

The algae is not going to cause any damage/leaks to the silicone. Scrape off what you can and soak the algae in vinegar which should help remove any tough spots.

Hi,

If you are planning to empty the tank anyway.. Then fill it up again after that and put Bleach in the water and leave it like that for a while and rub it with a toothbrush. This will eradicate all algae within a few hours, worst-case scenario within a day. After that drain the tank and thoroughly rinse it with clean water. If you have calcium stains visible after that then spray vinegar inside the tank, let it soak in for a while and use a soft cloth to polish it off, if it's old and hard deposits use a razor blade and gently scratch it off.

I also would not worry about any leaks, it is purely aesthetic... Removing old silicone 100% even from glass is pretty difficult, it can look clean after you removed all, but if it isn't you only see this after the new silicone is applied. Because silicone doesn't stick to badly cleaned surfaces it will make it look even worse. Chances of this happening are rather high, leaving it as is saves you a lot of hassle. :)

The algae is not going to cause any damage/leaks to the silicone. Scrape off what you can and soak the algae in vinegar which should help remove any tough spots.

Hi,

I also would not worry about any leaks, it is purely aesthetic... Removing old silicone 100% even from glass is pretty difficult, it can look clean after you removed all, but if it isn't you only see this after the new silicone is applied. Because silicone doesn't stick to badly cleaned surfaces it will make it look even worse. Chances of this happening are rather high, leaving it as is saves you a lot of hassle. :)

Thanks for the replies. I was told the algae may eventually get to the silicone bead holding the glass panes and start a leak but that din't make any sense so thought i'd confirm it anyway.

I'd hate to tear it apart just to get that algae off, like Nick suggested, I might try to carefully lift the silicone and scrape off any algae under it when I have lots of time and the aesthetics really start to bother me. I have no experience building tanks, let alone taking it apart! I'm happy to let it be in otherwise and rather focus on striking a balance to reduce algae to the extent possible.

Hi,If I do need to reseal, can I scrape off the inner layer alone and reapply leaving the silicone holding the glass panes as it is ?

Yes. It's all about holding the blade at the correct angle to remove the bead without removing the seam. The other thing to remember is to use masking tape. It is a skill - so the key is to practice over and over again until you can do it for real. Simple things like the bead diameter, jerky movements and the wrong angle of application can make this a mess if you don't practice first.

I respect foremost all the comments above on whether this is advisable. But in case you come back to this in a few years just remember to practice first.

Back