• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does potassium nitrate (KNO3) provide the full EI levels of potassium (K)?

xZaiox

Hi guys,
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm having some issues in my tank and I've decided to review what I'm dosing and I'm now thinking I may be underdosing potassium. I copied the below table from a post of @Zeus. that I found in a past ukaps post. Everything I have read has indicated that the potassium from dosed KNO3 will be sufficient. I've been dosing to roughly Clive's EI target - I've been dosing 22.5 ppm NO3, and putting this into the rotalabutterfly nutrient calculator, this equates to 14.19ppm of K. When also factoring in the 3ppm weekly dosage of PO4 from K2PO4, the calculator says this provides 2.47ppm of K.

So if this calculator is correct, then I am underdosing potassium by nearly half. Does this information sound correct? Because if so then I think I will try adding some K2SO4 to boost the levels to 30ppm.

I guess I'm confused by this because surely if the calculator is correct, then EI recipes should also include K2SO4?

1661635813455.png

Hi guys,
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm having some issues in my tank and I've decided to review what I'm dosing and I'm now thinking I may be underdosing potassium. I copied the below table from a post of @Zeus. that I found in a past ukaps post. Everything I have read has indicated that the potassium from dosed KNO3 will be sufficient. I've been dosing to roughly Clive's EI target - I've been dosing 22.5 ppm NO3, and putting this into the rotalabutterfly nutrient calculator, this equates to 14.19ppm of K. When also factoring in the 3ppm weekly dosage of PO4 from K2PO4, the calculator says this provides 2.47ppm of K.

So if this calculator is correct, then I am underdosing potassium by nearly half. Does this information sound correct? Because if so then I think I will try adding some K2SO4 to boost the levels to 30ppm.

I guess I'm confused by this because surely if the calculator is correct, then EI recipes should also include K2SO4?

View attachment 193420
Technically yes, you are “under dosing” potassium. In the real world? Not even close, no tank will ever need 30, 40, 50 ppm potassium. (Levels you will reach with accumulation.)

Just dose your KNO3 and call it a day, no need to complicate it. For what it’s worth, my tank (heavily planted full of stems with high light and co2) gets 4ppm potassium at water changes, Target dosed Every few weeks. And in between water changes, they get only 0.6-1.3ppm K weekly.

Last edited:
As @plantnoobdude said you are unlikely to need 30ppm K, this is the EI level of abundance for high light ,CO2 and lots of plants ie Dutch style planted tanks. Plus if using tap water you will be getting some from there as well. If you plants look good then all is OK. If plants not so healthy K2SO4 is a very cheap way to boost your K levels. Got mine from E-bay.

Where can I source potassium nitrate without the anti-terror squad visiting?
ebay, look for saltpeter as used to cure pork and similar meat. It will be food grade pot nitrate. Pot nitrate is not 'controlled' but 'regulated' ie you need to be 18 plus and the supplier will need to know your name & address. Hence ebay will tick the boxes.
I think ebay has some daft rules: ie no to pot nitrate but yes to saltpeter. Just looked you can also find it under 'plant care'. Just check out the best price.

It depends, i have inert substrate so i have to dose K2SO4 or else my potassium bottom out. I have a lot of stem plants with high light and co2, so it may be why i need to dose that.

Back