• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does my setup sound ok ?

Deano3

well my tank final arrived the other day, i will eventually be doing a jurnal and looking forward to getting started, i have asked many questions and had great anwsers and learned a lot, below i have made a list of my equipment

Tank-ada 60-f
lighting-hagen glo light unit 2x 24w (going to have to hang hing to reduce the light)
filter-eheim 2324 heater/filter maybe a bit over kill but got good deal also would you advise getting 2 double tap conectors ?
co2- going to be setting up 2kg FE system but not currently purchased it yet
substrate-ADA powder 9l
rocks- mini landscape rocks

plants i plan on having dwarf grass carpet and maybe another type of plant for my iwagumi style aquarium any uggestings welcome, maybe eleocharis parvula

for fish was thinking maye 10x cardinals , for clean up crew maybe assasin snail , cherry shrimp or amino, maybe a otto

i am planing on fe co2 setup and also be doing EI dosing aswel, i plan on running dry setup for a month to get nice carpet then flooding the tank after that, just wondering how people hang there lighting units i purchased this off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121011717226 the light unit itself has 2 clips ontop to hang from but i am going to have to tie a knot in wire around the loop and then maybe use some sort of braket to hang from the wall, maybe a garden basket bracket just wondering how everyone else hangs there light units ?

was going to purchase around 6 pots of dwarf hair grass you think thats sufficent ?

going to start setting up my hardscape this week as soon as figure out how to hang the light then get plant ordered and start my new project,sure i will require help over next few month but thats why member of this forum :D any information or recomendation or comments welcome

Thanks Dean

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum :thumbup: .
I also have a twin hagen glo light unit and to raise it with adjustment and not have to hang on wires i simply used some industrial looking shelving racks from a diy store (homebase). They may not be to your taste but they are a good solution as you have height adjustment and simply sit the light unit onto the rails rather than hang it.
Heres a pic of my old set up:
6a2a6anu.jpg

Sounds like a good set up you have, will look forward to following your progress.
Cheerio,
Ady.

krazypara3165 said:
im no expert but that sounds like a great setup. ive seen a few people hang the lighting from a shelf above the tank, if done right looks quite nice!

Yeah was thinking about that sort of thing maybe a shelf with no brackets the invisible ones but not sure would support weight i do like industrial bracket setup, only thing is I know it's a lot of light for my size tank so will have to raise it a bit anyone any idea how high above the tank to for lighting ? It's 38 l with 2 x 24 w one Hagen life and glo bulb, thanks for ur kind words hopefully all works out as my first proper setup

going tohomebase for them brackets tomorro and going to spray black thanks for the idea mate
Dean

Anyone any idea how height to for the light unit, I will be getting adjustable unit like pic above but want to be able to adjust so lighting ok what be the max height above the tank u think ? Any help great

Dean

Would u say a meter or so would be high enough above the tank ? Just so I know what size racking to get ?

Thanks again
Dean

Deano3 said:
Would u say a meter or so would be high enough above the tank ? Just so I know what size racking to get ?

Thanks again
Dean
Yeah I'd aim for longer racks. I made the mistake if buying the short ones which don't give enough versatility.
Start maybe 90cm or so above the tank and see how you go. Don't have 90cm as the highest point possible though, you may need to go higher.....or lower!
Cheerio
Ady

Will try get the 1 meter or higher racking then , will put just just above tank for the lowest level thanks mate, anyone think I should purchase 2 way tap conectors for my eheim ?

Thanks dean

found black adjustable sheving at b ans q same as pic above to match my kitchen wallpaper so happy about that will try get it up tomorro and get tank in place then get a pic for you

thanks again
any other info or help would be great

when i start setting up i will flood tank to make sure no leaks and how deep should the substrate be ? 2cm front and uo to 5-6 rear ?

thanks Dean

Also I purchased a mini beetle counter and diffuser , I am doing a fe co2 setup I know I will require extinguisher and reg and piping but been reading about inline diffusers on aqua essentials are these the way to go ? Also have external eheim with heater , thanks dean

anyone else got in information on the up inline diffuser ? do i knly require co2 reg and fire extinguisher airline and difuser or would i require check valve etc ? just filled up my tank to make sure not leaking will leave a few hours, will order plants this weekend to get my carpet dry started, few newb questions here lol should i put in substrate then rocks and find scape i like then add more substrate around rocks and also how deep should substrate be around ? might slope up on one corner

any help great
Thanks dean

Definitely invest in a couple of check valves and also a bubble counter too. Pop a non return check valve before and after your bubble counter.
The up inlines are very good IMO. Also helps to show where all your co2 is being distributed.
Don't forget drop checker Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hopefully aqua essentials sell check valves so will order all from them, you dont plug in the uk diffuser do you ? i already purchased a beetle counter but might sell that + diffuser and get money back will it be fine to use fe setup with a UP inline ?

thanks dean

Ok thanks just wasn't sure, well think I will go with the inline, will get it order when get payed along with fe and regulator , anyone have any advice about first setting up should I add substrate then figure out layout I want then add more substrate around rocks then add my dwarf hair grass ? Might figure out layout today and get plants ordered for my dry start is it ok to plant the longer grass at the rear of tank with dry start ?

Thanks dean

Back