• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does brown moss come back?

chinwag

Apologies for spamming the help section even more!

I am also reading up, just haven't found a consistent answer to this yet, google results so far seem quite varied.

I'm trying to grow java moss emersed, thought I'd try a few variations and learn by seeing which worked best.

I have it on some bog wood, some found wood, and some john innes no.3.

Room temp only, misting daily, it's very moist the whole time.

Some of it's still green, but a pretty dark green, like it's just hanging in there.

For the most part, it slowly turns brown and stays that way.

Just curious if it will come back or do I need to start over with new java moss?

Thanks.

Hi
If there is green bits on it will come back.
I have some in propagator in shaded back yard corner.Cheap propagator from homebase drilled the lid about 15 holes (3-5mm)spread evenly for ventilation 1.5-2cm of water on bottom java moss in with some blackworms.After a week it started growing out of water emersed with light green colour. No additional light,no ferts absolutely nothing and is growing untill now.Will see how long will handle the cold tho.
Try to put it submerged in a bit of water aka your propagator from the other thread on here cover it and wait to see if is going to grow out on its own.The new growth should be more hardy and U can experiment with it.
Regards Konsa

Thanks @Konsa I have green bits on a couple of clumps, the rest is probably done with then!

I'm wondering if I have too much light going on as well - I've seen a few people saying it grows better in the shaded areas of their tanks and that ties up with what you're saying.

I'll take your advice and see if I can save the rest though - I might split it and try half with less light too. I'll report back if it's successful!

Thanks again.

It depends on how far gone it is. I have java moss that has done the exact same thing, some of it has come back, really healthy, some of it hasn’t. Some of the brown bits that managed to release themselves from my excellent super gluing efforts, have actually formed healthy rebel plants elsewhere in the tank as a sign of defiance. So I wouldn’t give up on it.

Equally my weeping moss went completely brown when it first went into the tank, looked horrible but I just left it in there thinking the fish and shrimp would eat it and now that’s as bushy as anything.

I would say moss is the most resilient thing known to man :D I didn't even have moss in my tank but I used a piece of root that had been in my garage for years, now it's making a come back and I never even put any in there!

Be aware, that mosses are very different.....there is a reason they have different names.
When you talk about "java moss" it should mean Taxiphyllum barbierei - and only that !!! Other Taxiphyllum's would be T.'spiky' and T. 'flame'.......these have allmost same demands as T. barbierei (=Java moss). All very, very easy and adaptable.
When you talk about Weepimg moss,it is a Vesicularia => Vesicularia ferierii 'weeping'. Christmas moss is another Vesicularia. The Vesicularia's are actually a little more demanding than is the Taxiphyllum's. They usually need better light and higher amounts of CO2, to perform really well.
Both the mentionedTaxiphyllum and Vesicularia can be grown emerse. They need very high humidity, though, and do not really like very strong light.
Fontinalis antipyrethica (=Willow moss) and Fissidens fontanus (=Feather moss) are yet other mosses. Both will grow very well submerse, given right conditions - but they are really, really difficult to grow emerse.....and rediculously slow if they do.
In short; don't think all mosses will work equally well in same surroundings - they won't..........

Hey sorry guys, I missed the new replies.

My Java is now in a jar, plenty of light, daily water changes. I think I can see the tiniest bit of new growth.

Thanks for the info @Mick.Dk - I have some Christmas moss also so that's quite interesting, although at the moment that's waaay healthier than my java moss!

Back