• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you switch filter off when feeding

Deano3

Hi everyone just a quick question i just turned my filter off to feed my fish as i always do and straight away 3 rummy nose tetras jumped 😔 i have put back in and they seem to be ok but think i will feed with filter on from now on as they are very skitish.

Dean

I turn mine off for 10-15 mins while feeding, I have a lot of flow and it would just go everywhere if I didn't.

If i have to go into a canister filter for some reason or turn it off for a WC they are always a bit finnicky starting back up so no id rather keep them running.

I do. Its handy as it has its own switch on the wall. I like to take a moment to watch everything and chill
That is handy, how did you manage that? I have set up 3 tanks for my farther in law who has MS. He can do very light maintenance / feeding, but couldn't imagine him having to unplug every feeding time.

Hi @Deano3 I don't, I have 2 internal filters and 2 HOBs on each of my tanks... I am just scared I get distracted and forget to turn them back on... which has happened in the past. Ideally if there would be a timed switch I could press that would turn everything back on automatically after say 10 mins. I would use such a switch (like a dead-hand switch). As I feed mostly frozen and dry food, I also think (somewhat wishfully I suppose) that the fishes like the chase when the food whirl around... and I feed in very small portions to allow the fishes to scoop up everything before it ends up at the bottom - my shrimps are fed separately so I dont rely on fish food waste for my shrimpies... they have their own diet and plate setting ... Yes, I know I am spoiling those guys :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I dont mind the food reaching the bottom dwellers, and any that gets lodged amongst the plants the shrimp/babies feast on. Of course i always drop a few wafers down there.

That is handy, how did you manage that? I have set up 3 tanks for my farther in law who has MS. He can do very light maintenance / feeding, but couldn't imagine him having to unplug every feeding time.
It’s just has its on socket on the wall separate to Co2, lights, skimmer,heater.
28C6665F-217F-480D-BB4A-9245902F844D.jpeg
Doing a feed now so here is a sneaky pic😂
FD72D9BB-1277-48A4-B27E-4E3DC4B214E9.jpeg

Can’t stand the thought of live foods getting a sucked into a filter, so they go off.

Also, not really wanting food decomposing in the filter.

Last edited:
When I feed I hit the pause button on my return pump which shuts it off for 10 minutes. It's a super handy feature to have. In my previous tanks wirh HOBs I left them running as they could be tricky to re prime.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I turn the filter off for frozen and messy foods that would end up all over the tank. After 10 mins I remove any uneaten food I can see with a turkey baster.

I leave the filter on for pellets like Hikari that are easy to clean up. Most of the fish are full grown and swallow pellets immediately.

I am just scared I get distracted and forget to turn them back on...

You guys need a TP Link Tapo100 smart plug - you can turn it on and off from your phone without having to dig around in your cupboard, plus you can set up a permanently scheduled ‘on’ timer in case you forget to turn it back on manually.

For example, I generally feed my fish at around 8pm, so the Tapo100 on the pump plug has an ‘on’ timer for 9pm, so if I forget to turn it back on, I know it’ll automatically do it.

Back