• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Do ramshorn snails eat fish eggs

tiger15

I transferred some cichlid eggs on a rock to a tank to hatch. There are no fish but some ramshorn snails. This morning I found a few snails browsing round the eggs. Will they eat live eggs or just grazing on fungus eggs.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I transferred some cichlid eggs on a rock to a tank to hatch. There are no fish but some ramshorn snails. This morning I found a few snails browsing round the eggs. Will they eat live eggs or just grazing on fungus eggs.
If they are Red Ramshorn snails <"they don't eat Corydoras eggs">. I've always left Apistogramma eggs in with the female, and she is pretty efficient at removing any snails that approach the cave.

cheers Darrel

tiger15

Yes, I have red Ramshorn snails. It sounds like from the link Ramshorn snails not only won’t harm fish eggs but help improve hatching, right. I have no choice as I can’t leave the parents to guard the eggs as they are in company with bigger and meaner tank mates.