• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I need to dose ferts with Tropica Plant Growth?

Aitch

If I use Tropica Plant Growth substrate, would I still need to dose ferts in the water column? Or should I crush up some root tabs under the Tropica? I would be capping it off with some fine gravel. I don't want to over dose on the ferts

Regards
Harry

The substrate will have limited supply of nutrients, I would of thought is is some version of clay based granules which have a High CEC (Cation exchange capacity). These help balance/buffer the nutrients/toxins in the tank. Regular dosing (weekly)of a complete fertiliser will help extend the life of the substrate esp if you have soft water.
I don't want to over dose on the ferts

To over dose you would have to apply a lot of ferts is is hard to do by accident. Dosing ferts in abundance will only lead to healthy plants and not algae. Ignore the internet when it comes up with too much fertiliser leads to algae

Everything @Zeus. said. And especially Macro's (NPK) are very, very hard to overdose as toxicity levels are very high for these components. High NPK dosing will help plants and keep certain algae at bay actually. If you use a lot of expensive commercial off-the-shelf water-based fertilizer, the worst thing that can happen is that you burn a hole in your wallet (which is bad enough).
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back