• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DO i need to add

Dan-CR4

As the title says, anyone give some advice whether I need to add Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4) when im doing my ei dosing. there is a link to my local water supply for my area below some other stuff they are reporting

mgl CaCO3 (ppm) Degrees Clarke Degrees German(DH) Degrees French Detergent rating Fluoride(ppm)
MITCHAM 252.3333333 17.66333333 14.13066667 25.23333333 HARD 0.139

and the link to my water report,

http://secure.thameswater.co.uk/water-quality-reports/2012%20WQ%20Report_Z0106_mitcham.pdf

I was battling diatoms and with water changes and less time with the lighting period (was 7 hours) now 3 hours at the moment, the plants are looking greener with less diatoms on them.

any advice is really appreciated,

Hello,
Unfortunately, the water report fails to tell you anything about Mg. Knowing the equivalent hardness concentration in terms of Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) gives no clue whatsoever about Mg.

Add some Epsom Salts at water change time and see what the effects are after about 3 weeks or so. Mg is really important but you don't need very much of it at all, just trace amounts is all. In any case, Mg deficiency, if present, has little to do with diatoms, and if the new leaves are a nice green without any yellowing then it is likely that there is sufficient Mg in the water already.

Cheers,

Back