• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do I need a filter?

AlanRR

Hi

I recently found a small 20l (ish) tank when cleaning out the shed so have decided to set it up as a simple low-tech. I have put some Tropica Aquasoil in it and planted a few tropica plants from the local shop (Bacopa Compact, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Rotala rotundifolia). I've also added some mature floaters kindly sent to me by Darrel. There is a nano light over it and I've dosed it with a couple of squirts of Aquascapers CPF.

There are no fish in it (and I don't intend to add any), just a few small invertebrates, and I will probably add some snails in a few weeks.

The initial plan was to do a Walstad type of setup though I do plan to do the odd water change through the week. I was wondering if I need to add a small filter (e.g. an Eheim HOB) to the mix or if I should be able to get away without? What sort of issues would I create for myself by running without?

Thanks

Alan

That’s a cool series of videos, I think I’ll give it a go. One thing I don’t understand is how he makes an acrylic barrier for his Duckweed that floats? I thought acrylic had an sg > 1.

Edit. Ah perhaps it is hollow rather than solid?

I saw this too on "MD Fish Tanks", YouTube and it is quite impressive. I have just setup a 30-liter Dennerle cube. Very much along similar lines sans the artistic element. It is intended for a Betta and a few shrimp. I intend to run it for about 4 weeks to let the plants get a good hold. Currently, I have a Dennerle Nano filter but do I really need this. I hate these things inside tanks so ugly. So if I can get away with it it will be great.

I set up a 10L Nano a while back and hoped to not use a filter but the spider wood is still leaching and I was getting surface scum. I’m running an internal but there aren’t really any small enough for a Nano this small. The water though is crystal clear and the filter sucks up the scum nicely. I’d prefer a small external but don’t like the look of most of them and they are still too large.

I set up a 10L Nano a while back and hoped to not use a filter but the spider wood is still leaching and I was getting surface scum. I’m running an internal but there aren’t really any small enough for a Nano this small. The water though is crystal clear and the filter sucks up the scum nicely. I’d prefer a small external but don’t like the look of most of them and they are still too large.
Thank for the reply most appreciated. I have attached a pic of my 30 litre I only set this up 3 days ago. Initially, it was only going to have a rock hardscape so I added the wood. The filter is at the back right. Ignore the heater it is there temporarily I intend to get one of those thin ones either Dennerle or Aquael. The filter I have does not remove stuff floating, what filter are you running. I would be interested in a skimmer for a nano tank.

Newsetup.jpg

Back