• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do carpet plants over-run crypts?

ForestDave

Hi.
I've planted a few crypts in the substrate of my new tank and am wondering what happens when a carpeting plant reaches them. Do they drown out the crypts or do the crypts own their own space. Also is it a nightmare trimming carpeting plants around crypts or am I missing a trick?
Any tips are most welcome!
Thanks

Hi Dave if you have carpet plants running so rampant as to overtake your crypts then I suggest you shake your own hand with congratulations!
If that should ever happen I would say it is just part of owning and maintaining a planted tank and nothing a decent pair of curved edge scissors could not deal with.

I've never found it an issue, and crypts pop up in the carpet as the crypts send out runners. If anything as the crypts grow they shade the carpet and it doesn't do quite as well as the carpet that gets full light

Hi Dave if you have carpet plants running so rampant as to overtake your crypts then I suggest you shake your own hand with congratulations!
If that should ever happen I would say it is just part of owning and maintaining a planted tank and nothing a decent pair of curved edge scissors could not deal with.
Thanks Foxfish!!

I've never found it an issue, and crypts pop up in the carpet as the crypts send out runners. If anything as the crypts grow they shade the carpet and it doesn't do quite as well as the carpet that gets full light
Cheers Zeus.
I had visions of grass overrunning a strawberry patch!

Crypts grow extensive root systems that will go much deeper than those of small carpeting plants. The Crypts will be fine but you MAY find poor growth of the carpet in the immediate area of the Crypt unless you add extra substrate ferts.

Back