• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do bulbs like Crinum and Aponogeton die back seasonally?

noobscaper

Same as title. Do they die back, and if so, how long does it take for them to regrow? I wouldn't want the back wall of my aquarium to be empty.

Never had Crinum so I cannot help although I haven't heard that it is seasonal.

As for Aponogetons it totally depends on the species and tank temperature.

If you specify the Aponogeton species you are interested in you should get a definite response.

Its been a long time, but I seem to remember the aponogetons I had (crispus and ulvaceus) at least went into short hibernation, they died back till just a few buds on the bulb every now and again. I usually pulled them up and cut off everything (roots, dead leaves). Then I'd replant the bulb (very shallow or just anchored, not deep in soil or it would rot) and then leave it, most of the time it would come back this way after a few weeks/months, but it was just me doing 'something' that seemed right, and not based on any factual knowledge (as the internet was not yet in my life at the time), all I had was the sellers information to not let the bulbs rot during dormancy, no clues on how. I'm sure you can find better info now. All I know is that its important to not let the bulb rot. Ulvaceus was always stronger then crispus for me, the latter rotted a few times regardles, but usually after a few hibarnations. Ulvaceus rarely rotted, and when it did I could usually cut off the bad part from the bulb and it would recover. I'm curious to read new insights from pro's here to see if my treatment of this plant in the past was detrimental or lucky :p

Last edited:
Crinums don't, at least not in my experience with C. calamistratum and C. thaianum. Calamistratum get pretty big and grow plenty of new plants, which I wouldn't have thought was a sign of needing a resting period.
My calamistratum does get a seasonal temperature swing of 5+c and plentiful nutrition through the roots which might keep it going.

Take a look at these treads...
and this...

Back