• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY Water Changer, No more buckets!!

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
There was some talk on another post about this so I decided to create a simple post with my water changer.
There could be many variations but this is what worked best for me.

Diagram of the system, with the right connectors displayed:

image1sq0.jpg

Start off with all taps closed.

1. Empty the tank
Open tap 2, 3 and 4, start the pump that is inside the tank and watch the tank emptying, when you reach the right level turn pump off and close 2, 3 and 4 taps.

2. Test the water temp
Open tap 1 and 3, then turn the hot and cold water taps until you get the right temp, I use a themometer at the end of the hose to get 25ºC, close tap 3 and open tap 2, go to the tank

3. Fill the tank
Open tap 4 and watch the tank fill back in, the water just pumps through the pump without any problems. Once its full just close tap 4.

Close all taps including the hot and cold and put the hose away, simple ;)

All the stuff was puchased off ebay, except the hose which I got off a mate for free.

1x Pump 480 lhp, could get a fast one to empty quicker:
On ebay search exactly for "480 LTR" check sellers other items for faster pumps.

2x Y connector (only need one for cold and hot mixer taps):
On ebay search exactly for "3 WAY HOZELOCK".

2x Mixer taps (only need one for cold and hot mixer taps):
On ebay search exactly for "Mixer Tap Hozelock".

4x Shut off taps:
On ebay search exactly for "hose tap flow", look for 25mm which is compatible with hozelock, so will fit standard garden hoses. (Could no longer find the ones I used).

I do not use jubilee clips or proper Hozelock adapaters to secure the hose, its fits tight into the above fittings.

Hope is all makes sense! hehehe ;)

Re: My Water Changer

Is the shower lower than the tank? If so, you can get rid of the pump, and siphon out the water. No need to suck on the pipe either.

Rob33 said:
Is the shower lower than the tank? If so, you can get rid of the pump, and siphon out the water. No need to suck on the pipe either.
Its just quicker with the pump thats all ;)

TDI-line said:
What happens if a little fish or shrimp gets sucked into the pump, is he sushi. :D
Pump as a grill not big enough for the shrimp and its got suckers on it so just put it on the front glass.

bugs said:
How big is your tank?
125 liters

How is the pump working out for you?

I've been using an old Rena IV 3 Filstar filter without media to pump water from the tank, but it take forever :lol: I did try hooking my old Fluval 4 1000lph up, but the water seems to pump out of the base of the swivel outflow pipe instead :rolleyes:

JAmesM said:

I've been using an old Rena IV 3 Filstar filter without media to pump water from the tank, but it take forever :lol: I did try hooking my old Fluval 4 1000lph up, but the water seems to pump out of the base of the swivel outflow pipe instead :rolleyes:
Pump works fine, I drain half the tank in about 10 minutes! haven't actually timed it, I will next weekend when I do the next change.

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:

Pump works fine, I drain half the tank in about 10 minutes! haven't actually timed it, I will next weekend when I do the next change.
Thanks bud :)

I usually have time to pop to Tesco, but ingredients for a curry, come home, make the curry, eat the curry, watch a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica and drink half a bottle of wine before the tank drains 50% of 125l :lol:

Gonna get bidding I think, cheers! :)

JAmesM said:
I usually have time to pop to Tesco, but ingredients for a curry, come home, make the curry, eat the curry, watch a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica and drink half a bottle of wine before the tank drains 50% of 125l :lol:
Gonna get bidding I think, cheers! :)
Haha in that case get one! they do faster ones also and say you can have the pump inline outside the tank, but I couldn't get it to work inline. I am pretty happy and usually do a water change in about 20/30 minutes! And always drain a little more than 50% also on a 125l tank.

LondonDragon said:

Actually timed it today, takes 6 and a half minutes to empty and another 6 and a half minutes to fill up, so a 50% water change in 13 minutes! not bad is it?? hehehe

I emailed the seller of those pumps - he seems to think I'll need a pump of at least 3000 lph :rolleyes: I'm not pumping water up the Glasgow mate :lol: I missed out on their 1000lph by 6p too :bored: Gotta get something sorted soon...

JAmesM said:
I emailed the seller of those pumps - he seems to think I'll need a pump of at least 3000 lph :rolleyes: I'm not pumping water up the Glasgow mate :lol: I missed out on their 1000lph by 6p too :bored: Gotta get something sorted soon...
3000lph??? HAHAHA mine is only 480lph does the job pretty well.

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
3000lph??? HAHAHA mine is only 480lph does the job pretty well.
How far do you pump the water though?

Right o, I figured the guy was trying to get me to buy something more expensive, greedy bugger. I'll have a look elsewhere on ebay! Cheers!

Superman said:
How do you dose the dechlorinator?
As we were chatting on gabbly last night, forgot that question! :?
Just dose it in the tank has it's filling up! Never had any problems doing that.

Back