• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY spray bar colour options

discusdan

Hi all

I've made this diy spray bar that connects up to 2 filters and hopefully it will work, I've not tried it yet.

7bqS6ru.jpg

I wanted to change the colour of it to black and just wondered if any one knows the easiest and cheapest way of doing it.

I've seen some people spray paint them but im not sure what paint to use and if it would be safe long term in a fish tank?

is there any other way to do it?

cheers.

Most heat shrink I've used has a glue inside to help it adhere when heating. I wouldn't use it.

I'd go for a rigid tube. You're going to want to secure it, most probably with clips and I don't think heat shrink will be suitable. You'll probably try it and prove me wrong though.

Ive seen a few videos on YouTube of people make shrimp safe filter intakes and they use heat shrink on the ends so id guess that it is aquarium safe heres a link to one of the vids

YouTube

I think some people use Crayola paint which is aquarium safe. On a different note It's not advisable to connect two filters to one spray bar.

cheers for all the suggestions guys.

Heat shrink is going to be the cheapest option by far.
Eheim pipework is too expensive for what i've found and cant seem to find crayola paint in black only multicoloured packs.

seems krylon fusion is another paint that is aquarium safe, but again pricey.

seems I've got a few options which is good though, i'll have a think about it.

Oh and the spray bar is stopped in the middle so is effectively 2 bars in 1.

I looked every where for some black pipe. thats the perfect solution. Good find!

I went with heat shrink in the end. I'll see how it goes and if there are any problems I'll get some of that black pipe.

cheers for the link.

B&Q do sell a 25mm black PVC pipe but it is designed as electrical wire conduit & as such - the corner connections are not watertight however, you can sweat the pipe over the 21.5 fittings. To be honest though this is not ideal as 25mm is a bit big for the average tank.
I believe most paints become inert when fully cured, perhaps something like acrylic car body paint would be ok but I don't actually know this is corect!
I do know that polyurethane based paint like G4 pond paint would be fine its just that you would have to buy £15 worth to paint the spray bar!
Epoxy is safe but again by the time you have bought pigment & the actual epoxy it would be £20.

Back