• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY filter Housing and Co2 reactor

Has anyone made a homemade filter housing, I keep wondering about making one inspired by ADA design, but from blue 200mm acylic tube and get all the additional parts laser cut similar two the calcium reactors they use on marine tanks.
20181229_171716.jpg 20181229_171721.jpg plastic-acrylic-plexiglass-color-tube-od40x3x1000mm.jpg
I already use an external pump, possibly make two and use the second as a Co2 reactor.

Biggest thing that's putting me off is the crazy price everyone seems to want to charge for extruded acylic pipe.

You could try clear PVC tube that's a tad cheaper.

With pvc you also can use standard sized couplings and hose connectors.. I once made a simple smal canister filter from 50mm pvc pipe.

This is the only picture i have of it. I no longer use it, it's replaced with a hob. But it always worked like a charme.
6pntef-jpg.jpg

The only thing was with this design i needed to clamp it verticaly to the cabinet. And that was a rather noisy solution.. Also could have used a t coupling and a screw cap instead at the bottom. Than it could stand on the screw cap on a foam pad.

That's what i would do, skip the eastitics if its in a cabinet anyways and skip the expensive laser cutter. All you need can be found in a hardware store or pond shop if you make it from PVC. Pond shops might sell clear pvc by the metre.. Tee's, couplings and flanges etc. in standard sizes are avaiable.

In some pond shops you might find ready made solutions like these canister filters for water treatment.. They are not that expensive. I've seen people making co² reactors from it, filling it with those plastic bioballs. I would definitively do a search and a price comparance with DIY. I guess its hard to beat to diy it cheaper.
Mikrophos-Conditioner.jpg

But than you need to drill a hole to connect the co² tubing.. Als not that exciting. For 6mm tube connectors look in the pneumatic industry, for example the 4/6mm x M5 hose connector with O-ring. Than drill a 4.2 mm hole tap M5 thread and screw in the connector, it sealed by the gasket on the connector.
F2223817-01.jpg

:)

QUOTE="foxfish, post: 551625, member: 3574"]DIY reactor that worked extreamly[/QUOTE]

Looks very effective, just running a canister filter housing after my quanvee inline co2 diffuser might make a big difference. I really want to tidy the whole setup at the same time.
Be nice to get a setup that maximise flow with built in heater, co2 reactor..

In the short term I attacked my broken ehiem filter with a dremel and angle grinder and cut alot of the internals ducting away.
It probably doubled the flow in the tank... Just a shame I can't increase the size of the 12mm inlets and outlet to 16mm
Heres my current setup..
20190208_104830.jpg
The sun sun prefilters are certainly cheap I've just seen them for sale at £13 including postage and media, just a shame there not a bit taller.

I did come across the XL-804w I need to check the sizes of my 50w jebao sump pump.
5ad9daedNf7f0d28c.jpg
https://www.openchinacart.com/supermall/24675550533

I also came across some nice stainless cooking containers, looking down the sizes they all look a bit short and fat.

1488685453.jpg

φ300×170mm 10L
φ300×230mm
15L
φ300×310mm 20L
φ300×380mm
25L
φ300×520mm 35L
φ450×330mm 50L

I still don't think any of these solutions are going to get close to what I could do with getting some parts machined and laser cut. Even if it's going to take a little longer.

Back