• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY CO KIT

Sathish

Seedling
Hi All,

So I have been looking to invest in a CO2 Kit and whilst browsing found the following on Aliexpress for 90 GPB with 12V solenoid and diffuser.

Looks to be of high quality but time will tell. It has a prefilter module on the regulator section. All I have to do is is mix the Citric Acid and Baking Soda and then we have CO2 :)

20190122-115001-1.jpg

Any one else tested such a set-up?

Thanks

Looks like a serious DIY kit.. :) What's the pressure rating on the safety valve?

If it can take quite some pressure and if the pressure can be regulated than putting it on a heating mat at 25°C would help keeping the yeast optimaly active. Even better would be inside a temperatur controlled cabinet

Bit bloomin expensive for extremely unreliable CO2 generation. Should have asked here to be warned off before wasting your pennies....

I get 2Kg CO2 for £10, that lasts me 3 months on 180litre tank.

If sodium bicarbonate cost £2 per 100gr (Ebay price) that will produce 55gr CO2 (calculate or google it) + £1 for 100gr citric acid. that is £3 for 55gr of CO2 compared to 2000gr for £10 -> 55gr for 27p. So about 10 times more expensive than a fire extinguisher.

Link to 1gr of bicarbonate produces 0.55gr of CO2.
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...ng-soda-citric-acid-water-co2-how-much-though

And what is all that waffle about 30kg pressure. Kg is a mass (or weight) not pressure ? So 30bar safety valve venting into your room when the solenoid is off ??? Any noise when doing so ??? Any smell of acid or bicarbonate ?

Sorry but not really a very useful product.

Anyway let us know how you get on, please.

Bit bloomin expensive for extremely unreliable CO2 generation. Should have asked here to be warned off before wasting your pennies....

I get 2Kg CO2 for £10, that lasts me 3 months on 180litre tank.

If sodium bicarbonate cost £2 per 100gr (Ebay price) that will produce 55gr CO2 (calculate or google it) + £1 for 100gr citric acid. that is £3 for 55gr of CO2 compared to 2000gr for £10 -> 55gr for 27p. So about 10 times more expensive than a fire extinguisher.

Link to 1gr of bicarbonate produces 0.55gr of CO2.
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com...ng-soda-citric-acid-water-co2-how-much-though

And what is all that waffle about 30kg pressure. Kg is a mass (or weight) not pressure ? So 30bar safety valve venting into your room when the solenoid is off ??? Any noise when doing so ??? Any smell of acid or bicarbonate ?

Sorry but not really a very useful product.

Anyway let us know how you get on, please.

Thanks, good advise. Haven't tried is a yet but will update on how it goes. Will be using it on 60 litre tanks. As mentioned only time will tell :)

DIY co2 sugar and yeast, i can get sugar at 0,85$/kg here, and yeast you don't need much, not expensive either, like baker's yeast. It can be used for a 20-30G tank. It is simple, however it is true it is not as reliable as pressurized. However i had a pressurised system with Milwaukee regulator and reliable is a kind word for it.

In my city in Quebec co2 cylinders refill are not cheap, so i think of returning to diy co2 sugar/yeast.

Michel.

however it is true it is not as reliable as pressurized.

Not intirely.. :) We had Greenfinger2 and he started out with DIY CO² and achieved remarkable results...

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/search/19352083/

The thread still excists, i kinda forgot which scape it exactly was, it is in the search query above and it can't hurt to read all his threads. Matter a fact they are a joy and very educative to read all..

Anyway he kinda prooved that diy co² reliability is all about the consistancy of husbandry in the method and not in the method itself.. :thumbup:

I never tried never will and to be honest i don't think i would succeed, i lak in will power.

Update: So I have this DIY Kit running for 24/7 at 1 BPS in my 60L Tank. I didn't connect the solenoid intentionally. The unit is solidly built and valve adjustment is spot on. No smells or noise to report.
The 100g Bicarb + 100g Citric Acid has lasted 7 days.
I paid £14 for 2KG Bicarb/Citric Acid via Amazon Prime, could have got it cheaper but was impatient.
At the current rate, 2KG/Bicarb/Citric Acid @ 400g per month, so should last me around +- 5 months if I run it 24/7. Longer if I only run it during lighting period. Pretty cost efficient in my view for my usage, even if i increase to 2BPS.

Going to buy another unit.

Back