DIY Aquarium Controller

lazybones51

Ive come across this many times :) it looks fantastic but im looking to create something with Arduino (find it less complicated) and for a fresh water tank
All of features are relevant for a freshwater tank, especially a planted tank. I've yet to dabble with an Arduino, it's something I keep meaning to look at. Please share your finished project, there's a few of us in to our DIY electronics. :thumbup:

zozo

I forgot at which forum i found it, but once read an article about a guy Building a Ph controller with Arduino. I didn't follow it so i have no idea what more he did build to control the tank.

If you google Aquarium Ph controller Arduino you find several articles about it, more peopel played with the idea. Likely to find other projects maybe such as light controll.
Since the LED era PWM is a popular way to control LED lights. DC powered pumps (motors) can also be PWM controlled. :) I've seen Arduino projects for this. And that's already a while ago.

ian_m

Global Moderator
Staff member
As someone who works all day with ARM designs (generally STM32 type chips, but also Raspberry Pi compute module) it certainly wouldn't be my first choice due to the amount of different hardware necessary, keeping 240V away from water and amount of "custom" software required. Be an interesting project, but not easy & cheap to achieve reliability.

In the end this is what I did in 2016.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

Been running continuously 28,515 hours (3.2 years) and ooooops 11 days 1 hour since last water change.....:oops:
upload_2020-2-28_8-52-47.png

steviez-uk

As someone who works all day with ARM designs (generally STM32 type chips, but also Raspberry Pi compute module) it certainly wouldn't be my first choice due to the amount of different hardware necessary, keeping 240V away from water and amount of "custom" software required. Be an interesting project, but not easy & cheap to achieve reliability.

In the end this is what I did in 2016.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

Been running continuously 28,515 hours (3.2 years) and ooooops 11 days 1 hour since last water change.....:oops:
View attachment 131980
WOW thats a while :) I saw your project some time back and it looks very good. The only problem for me is space so going down the micro controller route saves me a lot of space.