• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Aquarium Build

Ds_BerSerK

I'm looking to build an aquarium myself as I can't find the specific dimensions that I need or the ones that I found are too expensive. The aquarium size will be 60cm x 35cm x 25cm.

I would like some help on the glass panel dimensions, specifically if I should take into account the thickness of the silicone for the side panels.

Glass thickness will be 5mm

The bottom panel will be 60cm x 35cm.
The back and front panels will be 60cm x 25cm.
The side panels I was thinking of 34cm x 25cm. (Should I take off a 1/2mm from that 34cm to make up for the thickness of the silicone)

I will have someone cut the glass for me with professional machinery so I can get some precise dimensions.

What are your thoughts, thanks?

Most aquariums of that size have the bottom panel inside the walls so 60- 2x * 35-2x . The sides of the tank are inside the front and back panes as you suggest 35- 2x * 25 . Where x is the thickness of the glass. The silicone thickness between the 2 glass panes is just a thin layer that glues together the two parts. Maybe someone else can tell you the exact thickness that would be.

Are the ends polished as most charge extra for polished edges. It does make for a nicer seal. I dont think the 1/2mm makes a lot of difference, but no harm in adding that into the calculations. Are you planning on silicon the edges or are you doing the inside as well. I think adding silicone to the edges only as with ADA style tanks works better with glass 6mm + Ive tried it with 5mm, but added silicone inside as well as my edges were not perfect.

The way i did mine was silicone the edges with the panes taped to save clean up. After it cured i would removed the excess then add silicone inside the same thickness of the glass. Obviously use tape to get nice clean lines. If i had corner clamps i would have most probably did it all in one. I found the glass tended to move a bit when doing the insides the same time.

Are the ends polished as most charge extra for polished edges. It does make for a nicer seal. I dont think the 1/2mm makes a lot of difference, but no harm in adding that into the calculations. Are you planning on silicon the edges or are you doing the inside as well. I think adding silicone to the edges only as with ADA style tanks works better with glass 6mm + Ive tried it with 5mm, but added silicone inside as well as my edges were not perfect.

The way i did mine was silicone the edges with the panes taped to save clean up. After it cured i would removed the excess then add silicone inside the same thickness of the glass. Obviously use tape to get nice clean lines. If i had corner clamps i would have most probably did it all in one. I found the glass tended to move a bit when doing the insides the same time.
Thanks for the tips.

Back