• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA'esk cabinet 610x510x636

Danny

Ok so here is my build so far, I will be laminating the mdf with proper laminate as used on any contiboard you can buy in the shop and also filling and rubbing down the cabinet, I have to also seal the mdf with PVA which I will do tonight.

My cut list: 18mm mdf

610x510 x2 Top and Bottom
492x600 x2 Sides
574x600 x1 Back
100x600 Front brace for the door closure
610x600 divided into three:

100x610 Plinth above the doors
500x305 x2 The doors

Total cost about £40
8x4 sheet of mdf, pieces cut in B&Q
Magnetic holders x4
4x65mm dry wall screws

The pics so far, not great but hopefully will give you an idea of the build.

The wood,
DSCF7807.jpg

Coming together
DSCF7810.jpg

All together
DSCF7809.jpg

Doors off
DSCF7815.jpg

Dry finish
DSCF7814.jpg

water test as it is now.
DSCF7816.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask.

I was thinking about using sunk hinges but don't fancy paying £20 for a bit to make the sink for them to sit in so have just used magnetic latches which work fine. I may change to sunk hinges as well as the magnetic grips in the future though.

Just finished the first coat of PVA.......

looking good man, cant wait to see this painted.. how much you think you spent so far? im thinknig about doing this and buying all the wood bascially at an almost free cost before i finish my uni degree.. what colour you going for?

£41-£43 so far, I will be using proper laminate :) The same as used on all laminated furniture and aquarium cabinets but can not decide on what style lol Gloss Black or White, wood grain or one of their many others lol

sweet sounds good... if you can get a white light unit i would say white laminate cabinet ;) going for th4e NA look. if your light is black do it black etc. think they should match :) good luck anyway, looking forward to seeing the finished article..

The laminate will be in one piece not including the doors obviously with a 50mm lap on the top with self adhesive felt on the top for the tank to sit on so no joins and a nice clean finish :)

Still cant make my bloody mind up on LED's or x4 or even x8 T5's lol It will be marine so need plenty of light :)

Depends what I go for but between £40 - £80 I guess a sheet 2500x1250 ish. Need to get an actual price from the place I will use but my guess is from prices I have seen other places.

As I only need a piece 2240x660 it may be cheaper anyway, so over all I expect the cabinet to cost about £100 in total.

I can get a gloss black 3050x1300 sheet of formica and 1L of adhesive for £90.29 inc delivery which would only make the cabinet £130ish so still a price I would be happy with.

I was thinking about using sunk hinges but don't fancy paying £20 for a bit to make the sink for them to sit in so have just used magnetic latches which work fine. I may change to sunk hinges as well as the magnetic grips in the future though.

Just finished the first coat of PVA.......

i got my bit from eBay or amazon for about £5....

I have re scaped and had it all sitting on a towel for 20 mins or so before lol I just moved it from the other tank which is about 4ft away so not a problem. Still not happy with the scape but it will do for now lol

Back