• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

I was thinking about that but I'm not very good with numbers or measurements. I was just hoping for a plan that has already been used so I don't screw anything up lol

I used sketchup to design my DIY cabinet, means you can join all the pieces together and check they fit virtually, before going and paying for the timber. Mines 18 months old now and I've had no problems.

18mm thick sheet...

Top 1200 x 432
Bottom 1200 x 450
Sides (x2) 432 x 714
Back 1164 x 714
Front (doors x 2 with 4mm gap btw) 598 x 578
Top Brace 120 x 150

I'm sure someone will double check the measurements to make sure they are right.

I used sketchup to design my DIY cabinet, means you can join all the pieces together and check they fit virtually, before going and paying for the timber. Mines 18 months old now and I've had no problems.

Ya there's no way I could use that program lol my skills aren't that good

18mm thick sheet...

Top 1200 x 432
Bottom 1200 x 450
Sides (x2) 432 x 714
Back 1164 x 714
Front (doors x 2 with 4mm gap btw) 598 x 578
Top Brace 120 x 150

I'm sure someone will double check the measurements to make sure they are right.

So that would work for a 120x50x50?

zyqu5uje-jpg.jpg

Mines currently for sale

My cabinet is currently residing in the middle my kitchen awaiting its second coat of satin white paint, so whilst there I decided today in between the 2 coats of paint, I would fit the cabinet lighting and hard wire the extension sockets. By the end of the night it will have had its second coat of paint then all that left is to fix all the felt pads cover the whole base.
I absolutely hate ugly/messy wires hanging here there and everywhere:eek: call it OCD if you like. I had to take apart 1 of the drawers to get access to back panel for extensions hard wiring, their cables will be hidden behind the drawers. There is only 1 access point in the cabinet and you're looking at it below.
20191230_172050.jpg

And the tools used just for the for light and extension install. Oh and another OCD if it's supposed to be level it better be LEVEL, I've had my fair share of ridicule for this but I don't care:).
Next is the left side which is going to house the FE , reactor, inline heater and Filter so no room in here for any shelves.
20191230_172104.jpg

The right side without its 3 shelves.
20191230_172223.jpg

The cabinet is finally finished the last job done, 5mm felt stuck to the base to aid in moving but primarily to protect flooring and base of the unit. Why can the manufacturers cut these things square it makes it really hard when you're doing square edge products like mine? It looks a little rough in the pic:eek:, it's not believe me:thumbup:.
20191231_165000.jpg

No more homework today, time for dinner soon then it's drinking o'clock to see the new year in with my family:woot:. Cheers everyone and Happy New.

Hello all, i started with my first ever wood project, building one of these ADA 90p inspired cabinets with 18mm plywood. I got a lot of info and inspiration from this thread, and based my build on these, so thank you for that!

My problem is that my plywood is bending/warping/cuppin. I hoped that it would fall in place when assembled/added weight of the aquarium on top, but it doesn't seem so. I'ved tried to use clamps to straighten it out, so i could put on the back panel - but doing this only flattens the back side of the top (where the aquarium will sit), leaving the front side still warped/cupped.

What would you do? I've read that you can moisten the boards to straighten it out, but i'm afraid of destroying the wood.

Have any of you experienced this, and what did you do? I've added a picture with explained arrows in which directions it cups. The aquarium is rocking left and right like a rocket chair. Also keep in mind that i plan to put a back panel on the back/inside. Thank you
img_0023-jpg.jpg

Found this topic again.
Planning a new tank upgrade. it will be the ADA 120-P

In the past i've made a ADA DIY cabinet for my current tank of 100x50x50 and i used 18mm MDF.
After 11/12 years its still holding great. :)

But for a 120-P could i still use 18mm or should i upgrade that to 22mm?
For now still playing in 3D to design the new cabinet and create a plan for it later :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 11.45.34.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 11.45.34.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 285
Eughh it was all going so well…

Just started assembling my stand. Things weren’t quite lining up and couldn’t work out why.

The timber merchant used 20mm MDF and not 18mm! Ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back