• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

I have to make a 120cm wide stand and thought I'd have to go the wooden frame route. I really like the ADA style stands though but I'm unsure wether this design would be strong enough for 120x45x45 tank. What does everyone think?

I think the problem would be attaching the doors with kitchen hinges to the wooden frame so that the edges of the doors are still flush with the sides of the stand. I guess I could do the design in this thread and up the thickness to 25mm.

I think the problem would be attaching the doors with kitchen hinges to the wooden frame so that the edges of the doors are still flush with the sides of the stand. I guess I could do the design in this thread and up the thickness to 25mm.

You can use the Blum kitchen style hinges and they work fine and can be made perfectly flush, I did it if you search back some pages. I also used 18mm mdf for my stand which was for an 80 x 40 tank and also has a central brace

You can use the Blum kitchen style hinges and they work fine and can be made perfectly flush, I did it if you search back some pages. I also used 18mm mdf for my stand which was for an 80 x 40 tank and also has a central brace

Yeah I saw those. I'll definitely be using some. I've read the whole thread about 3 times now! Anyway I'll be doing the same design with 18mm Mdf but I'm going to double up on the sides and centre support just to help with the longer span.

Finally I've made a start on my 90p stand :)
AAALEwnMhQ8lgzYXULb-GIUka

That's looking nicely done. Been wondering how you cut the sides as it looks awesome. Are you planning on using hinges for the doors as i wasn't sure if the dimensions of the drawing allowed for it? Definitely copying the side cutouts. Cheers

Thats the main reason why im doing my own aaron. The old style roma cabinet is the worst. Even struggle to get a clasic 600 in nevermind 2. Go for it, the others have turned out fantastic and even if you mess up its only £20-40.

So, this thread has been a huge inspiration for me and I decided to try to build one myself. The drawings from James were a huge help, thanks a lot for those! With his drawings it basically turned this into a 'screw/glue stuff together and toss some paint on it' kinda deal, saved me a lot of headache. Just gonna post a couple of photo's, you guys can figure out what's what.

- MDF 18mm thick
- Two layers of basecoat
- Two(some parts 3) layers of paint (finish?)
- Lots of filling & sanding.

Taped it up to see if the measurements were acceptable;
kast4.jpg

Glued 'n screwd;
kast5.jpg
As it sits right now;

24549918849_e57072e8bb_z.jpg

I'll save you guys the photo's from the sanding, filling, basecoating and the layers of paint, after all the pictures in this thread, you guys know how to get to this point :D The next part will be deciding how to make a nice bracket for the electrical stuff and the filter inside. Hoses from the the filter will be running to the backside of the cabinet, didn't want them on the side. Gotta make a few minor adjustments to the doorhinges (who doesn't love doing that?) and then I'm ready to spend some time on the tank itself :D

Just posting here as a sort of 'Thanks you guys'.

Back