• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

u4emegas.jpg

Wide doors. Should make maintenance a touch easier.

Been so busy past few weeks.
Just to veneer now. Should be complete and varnished by next week/end

:lol: It's taken since January to get the doors on, still, if a job's worth doing......

It'll look awesome when it's finished. :thumbup:

Lol. Done a lot since then! Moved house and been doing a lot at work :)

I'm counting down the days to set this up.

I hope to have the veneer all on by Friday. Then hit it with about 10 coats of lacquer. So that'll take the most time now.

Brilliant thanks alot James, those drawing will help a lot.

My dad has a biscuit joiner so was thinking of glueing and biscuiting instead of screwing or dowing.

Any reason why that wouldn't be a good idea?

Cheers

Brilliant thanks alot James, those drawing will help a lot.

My dad has a biscuit joiner so was thinking of glueing and biscuiting instead of screwing or dowing.

Any reason why that wouldn't be a good idea?

Cheers

Look into using a powdered resin glue such as 'Resintite'. The bond strength in comparison to PVA is immense.

Have you got sash cramps? If not, what you intend on pulling it up tight with?

Ideal would be both screw and dowel/biscuits.

:lol: It's taken since January to get the doors on, still, if a job's worth doing......

It'll look awesome when it's finished. :thumbup:

Mines still waiting to be painted lol, problem is spring arrived :D

Hi nath, yea the old man has plenty of big clamps :)

Good shout on the glue, had a look and powered seems to be the best stuff to use! Was thinking on gorilla glue but do you reckon the one you mentioned or cascamite would be better?

Hi nath, yea the old man has plenty of big clamps :)

Good shout on the glue, had a look and powered seems to be the best stuff to use! Was thinking on gorilla glue but do you reckon the one you mentioned or cascamite would be better?

Cascamite. It's excellent and doesn't foam up, where as gorrilla glue is a PU glue, which means it'll expand somewhat.
Good for stopping squeaks in stair strings especially as it fills the gap around the wedge on the treads.

looking excellent nath keep the pics coming cannot wait to see finished, loved this thread been very helpful I feel like making another stand even though no need lol ;) maybe with nice wood, get tank set up first lol

What, no shellac and wax? Shellacs worth a punt for the fumes alone. Starts to smell like sherry after a while I thought. :D:wacky:

Sorry Lindy,

I did mean laquer. Now that's the shiz!

Did a little bit in my kitchen and we both couldn't hardly breathe upstairs for an hoe or two. Had to open every window in the house :lol:

I did our pitch pine staircase. There was no escaping the smell.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ours didn't smell nice once we'd had to strip about 10 layers of magnolia gloss and the dark stain underneath. Took about 3 yrs on and off around work and life.
a8y6uty7.jpg

Needs waxed again but the shellac will keep the wood safe until I get around to it....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back