• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

I envy people who are good with DIY.

Fantantic cabinets on show, just saved yourself a fortune.....

Nice work

Put the plastic levelers under tank because its in tiles in kitchen and not very level you think will ok as stand isn't totally flat on floor and resting on spacers should be fine shouldn't it ? Also just sanded edges of door so fits and re painting didn't relise how good the expensive brushes were, cannot even see the lines

5azazene.jpg

vamuneru.jpg

Thanks Dean

Slide a couple under the long sides as well to spread the weight

What's the second picture?

Put the plastic levelers under tank because its in tiles in kitchen and not very level you think will ok as stand isn't totally flat on floor and resting on spacers should be fine shouldn't it ?
You need to ensure that all bottom edges are resting on something and spreading the weight evenly. Either fill all gaps with spacers (neatly !!) or stand whole stand on a piece of ply (18mm block ply) to spread the weight evenly. MDF doesn't take too kindly overloaded via small areas.

Obviously will cut the extra bits off but only 1-2 cm of spacers hding tank, yeah there is 2 on other side and 3-4 along back u think sticking card board under would be better ? The 2nd pic is me re doing the edges of the door lol just thought would throw in therw

Thanks Dean

youthink 10 around base 1-2cm in will be ok or cut some mdf to fit under and put levellers under that?

youthink 10 around base 1-2cm in will be ok
Probably the easiest and cheapest solution. You will obviously only need spacers in bits where tiled floor is slightly too low.

Ensure top is perfectly flat, as a bowing top with a tank on, due to uneven floor, can cause tank silicone to tear. My mate has experience of this placing a tank on an old bit of furniture and either furniture or floor gave way slightly, causing the tank silicone to tear on two of the diagonal opposite corners. Most of the Youtube videos of tanks leaking due to silicone failure are due to this.

:eek::nailbiting: that's how I feel now lol will do mate infact going to order another 10 spacers for safety, fitted magnets to doors today and going to try some scapes out
thanks ian

I have used these spacers before to level things, get door frames to fit and fit batons to wonky walls. Cut just one side off and hold in place with double sided tape. Maybe not as nice as your spacers, but you get loads, to spill all over the garage floor like I did yesterday !!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/assorted-plastic-shims-100pcs/99189

going to try some scapes out
Good hints here are:

- make a tank shape out of cardboard box, with front missing, makes it much easier to plonk stones and wood in and out of. I did this, but in the end all changed when I added the plants.
- If you must use the tank put some packing foam (or layer of sand) in the tank bottom before fiddling with stones on glass :eek:
- Hack pretend stones out of polystyrene, as dropping these won't break the tank.
- Enjoy.:)

Just read this and already trying things, still unsure it's really hard to work with stones I got this so far I love tanks with open space on one side and tall stems at the back I am happy-ish with the left but not the right also used plastic tubes to pack out instead of gravel in tights
ryra9y3u.jpg

egejata4.jpg

Right hand side (would like to incorporate this large rock)

y4asaqur.jpg

nysebute.jpg

9a3u7azu.jpg

tu4u5yby.jpg

pu8ysy8u.jpg

Any comments welcome going to start a journal aswel

Thanks Dean

Might even lower the right to raise the left side more

Thanks Dean

I would just say remember to leave some space behind your rocks on the left for planting and to stop them disappearing into your stems. I would move your rock 'clusters' closer together leaving a chanel in the middle and plenty planting space around them.

Lovely mate keep us updated

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Back