• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

Sorry Dean, I haven't been on over the weekend so I haven't got a pic of the bottom of my cabinet, I'll get one tonight for you. I didn't want that top brace showing because the screws would be visible like on Rob's, I also thought my method would look a bit more minimal (obviously the screw holes will be filled and invisible but I though my way was easier!). If would prefer to have the brace showing like Robs I can alter my drawings for you no problem if you need them.

Cheers

thanks rob and James it would be great for some help with drawings if you don't mind, wanna get the mdf cut tomorrow, one door would be fine and I want the top panel visible and on outside like robs :oops: sorry James just prefer it that that although urs looks excellent :) . today purchased 10 gloss 4inch rollers from screwfix £2.79 and some mdf screws 45mm long, also have pva and wood glue not sure whitch one to use in between the wood ?

any help and drawings would be excellent thanks again guys you have been great also do the side pieces sit ontop of bottom piece and top piece ontop of side pieces ? want to use blum hinge hope arnt too deep as only going to be 18mm mdf also spoke to nat and says a 32mm forsner bit would be used to cut hole are the hinges 35mm or 32mm they look excellent (as don't have router)

Thanks dean

mdf screws 45mm long
Are these suitable for screwing into ends of MDF ? Looks like they are flooring screws for screwing sheet MDF flooring to joists rather than cabinet work ? Might work with a pilot hole, though 45mm - 18mm thickness leaves only 27mm penetration, not a lot.

Are these suitable for screwing into ends of MDF ? Looks like they are flooring screws for screwing sheet MDF flooring to joists rather than cabinet work ? Might work with a pilot hole, though 45mm - 18mm thickness leaves only 27mm penetration, not a lot.

longest they had in screwfix, will pre drill hole first what size does everyone else use ? will also counter sink hole so maybe 30mm penetration into the 2nd panel you think that's enough ?

cheers dean

Think mine were about 45mm, piloted & countersunk. Glued with Evo-Stik wood glue where possible ;)

Should be ok as long as you use plenty of glue I would have thought? I don't really know much about it though.

I'll crack on with those drawings this morning Dean, one thing though... if you are going to use hinges you will need a small gap like Rob mentioned earlier in the thread, if your using magnets you won't need that gap, have you decided yet? I would think hinges are a bit more professional but my way is great if you're lazy or not very good with woodworking (I'm both!).

Cheers

James

Should be ok as long as you use plenty of glue I would have thought? I don't really know much about it though.

I'll crack on with those drawings this morning Dean, one thing though... if you are going to use hinges you will need a small gap like Rob mentioned earlier in the thread, if your using magnets you won't need that gap, have you decided yet? I would think hinges are a bit more professional but my way is great if you're lazy or not very good with woodworking (I'm both!).

Cheers

James

thanks you very much james, I want hinges ;) will do my best to make it professional and doing 1 door is fine as will be less lining up etc etc

thanks again dean

Righto mate, I need to make quite a few changes to the drawing so I'll get on with it now.

Haha its like your being paid top dollar for these drawings.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

One more thing...... Rob said he left a 2mm gap for the hinges but Big Clown left 4mm which is best.... 3mm?o_O

A piano hinge sits on the outside edge of the side panel rather than being mounted internally

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

hhhmmmmm not sure at all will pm nat see what he thinks mate

and he is just very generous ali :D cannot beat the help on this forum

You haven't seen my bill yet mate.:p

olwn.jpg

From what I can tell from Rob's post there needs to be a 2 or 3mm rebate on the side panel like in the drawing, can you confirm this Rob? Seems like it will make the job much more complicated.

that's amazing don't know what program you use but mine would have been pencil and paper lol will have to drawer the large panel of mdf to see what way to ask b&q to cut lol but wait for rob and nat to have there input, cheers again james for your great input hope this tank works out excellent

Dean

It's only a diagram to see if it's what you want Dean, I'll do a technical drawing with the cutting sizes etc if the above drawing is ok. I'm a bit worried about that rebate though because it affects the width of the two side panels and the bottom panel.

oh great thanks drawing looks excellent only thing is the top cross panel(150mm one) would that not be better under the very top piece incase its hard to perfectly alight so that the tank will be perfectly flat ? what do most people have done ?

thanks dean

You could be right Dean, I copied Rob's and Nathanial's which were done like that, it seems to be the most popular way, I suppose it gives you a better finish where it's most visible.

You haven't seen my bill yet mate.:p

olwn.jpg

From what I can tell from Rob's post there needs to be a 2 or 3mm rebate on the side panel like in the drawing, can you confirm this Rob? Seems like it will make the job much more complicated.

Yes that's right, from just below the horizontal piece all the way down. And the bottom piece also needs to -2mm (front to back) than the top piece ;)

note, my B&Q wouldn't do that as it's not a full length cut!

oh great thanks drawing looks excellent only thing is the top cross panel(150mm one) would that not be better under the very top piece incase its hard to perfectly alight so that the tank will be perfectly flat ? what do most people have done ?

thanks dean

If the horizontal piece goes right to the top it will remove one potential visible join when viewed from the front ;)

Here are the drawings, I hope they're right!!!!!!!!

I haven't put the rebate on as Rob says, they won't cut it for you anyway..... (cough.. cough... magnets!)

usc5.jpg

prrs.jpg

Back