• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA style 60p Cabinet/Stand meets Exotic wood from OZ!

Sapherion

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm new to this hobby again and wanted to start off with something different. I have come across many DIY ADA style stands made from MDF or Plywood or Pine.. but what about mother natures' beautiful exotic woods?.. I live in Australia and we have some beautiful species and this one is my favourite so far:

Blackheart Sassafras Description:
Sassafras grows as an understorey tree in Tasmania's wet mixed forests and rainforests but also grows in Victoria and New South Wales. Timber from the plain sassafras logs was once used for clothes pegs because they do not contain any tannin. Today sassafras is famous for its spectacular black-heart stain caused by naturally occuring wood fungi which produces a range of contrasting brown to black colours in the heartwood.
Black-heart sassafras timber is used in wood turning, furniture, joinery, for veneers and in many souvenir items. Creative veneer lay-ups can produce stunning effects with even slight amounts of heart stain. Spalted sassafras timber, fine dark lines caused by stain fungi in the log after harvesting, is also attractive and popular in craft and furniture items. (Taken from IST Australia)

I have been able to source a small quantity just enough to make this cabinet. Before purchasing any woods to use for furniture, make sure its been kiln dried, seasoned and has a complete flat surface with no warping or cupping in the wood. Otherwise its not usable and cannot be joined properly and you will have a "wonky" cabinet.

Dimensions are 600mm Length x 300mm Wide x 650mm High x 18mm Thick.

First task was to surface plane all the required pieces, pair them up with familiar patterns on each side and cut the panels to size. Here you can see the beautiful natural tones and colours in this blackheart wood.

img0314ti.jpg

Next was to join the wood and give it strength in between the joints so we dont get pieces warping or moving once complete. I chose to make biscuit joints and use size 20 biscuits for this project and titebond III glue.

img0316auv.jpg

I used 4 biscuits between each join.

img0315ui.jpg

Next clamp all the pieces together to form a tight and straight fit. Leave to dry for 24 hours before sanding

img0317qf.jpg

Here's the finished back piece. Will look wonderful once finished using pure danish or tung oil. Note the pairing of wood to make it look more natural and not so out of place.

img0313iw.jpg

To be continued..

Re: DIY ADA style 60p Cabinet/Stand meets Exotic wood from O

Excited to see this. No pictures to share?
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

hey, you have used the wrong image URLS..

Yeah, me too I'm burning up trying to picture this stand :crazy:
Please upload ASAP

Apologies about the delay and pics, had to host on a different server :)

Here is an update. I've finally joined all the required pieces and cut to size.
Cutting the service holes wasn't fun, but it had to be done!
Then biscuit joined all the panels together remembering to use an 90' angle ruler to keep things square and in check.
Next step was giving it a good planing and sanding. Here is the almost finished product before the final oil finishes.
For extra strength and stability, i've added L brackets screwed up on all corners.

Enjoy!

img0367i.jpg

img0368wk.jpg

img0370st.jpg

img0371rn.jpg

img0369kv.jpg

Looks top drawer mate! Absolutely loving the grain coloration.

You going to give this an ultra gloss varnish finish? Would look exceptional.

Bravo on this, right up my street.

Thanks!.. I will be coating it with danish oil and bees wax, to give it a nice clear glossy coat whilst keeping it durable as well. No staining colours as I wan tto keep the natural tones of the sassafras. Next step is to apply the door hinges and place the door.. more to come soon!

Hi mate, this is my cup of tea. Stunning wood ! Kauri or Rimu would look great also, but I love the tones of this wood. I am off to search to see if its available over here in the UK.

lovely!

Awesome cabinet mate. You should be well proud of that. :thumbup: Nice to see something different from the usual Battleship Grey ADA style self builds.(Which I`m currently doing) :lol:

Hey saph,
How big are the L brackets on the inside of the top piece.

I ask because for strength reasons, the top board always goes on top of the legs. I just don't think, as nice as it looks, that the biscuits will take the weight of the water.

Cheers,

@ Nathaniel, thanks for your advice on the strength of the structure.. I had done alot of thinking prior to making this and had made one in cheap homemaker store pine and used the same methods with L brackets.. The strength of this stand comes from the two side pieces and back piece which go all the way to the top where the tank sits.. the L brackets and placed on all 4 corners to distrubute the weight. I had filled a similar size tank full of water and left it in my garage for 2 weeks with no problems.. Hope this helps :)

Update - I managed to get off work early today.. so straight to the workshop to finish construction of the stand.. I fitted the concealed hinges then lined up the door and finally complete before the final sanding and oiling/buffing. Can anyone recommend a good finish?..
Enjoy!

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Since this timber is called Blackheart Sassafras, I wanted to show the blackheart growth displayed in contrasting colours at the centre of the door, just as in nature where its grown from the centre of the tree.

IMG_0390.jpg

Also, here is a sneak peek of the next cabinet's timber. Tasmanian Huon Pine.. more details to follow soon!

You can see the timber currently seasoning in my workshop on small wood racks to circulate air and acclimate temperature and moisture conditions. This Huon pine was milled from a 2000 yr old tree then air dried for over 40 years before being milled into boards you see below. The smell of Huon oil coming from this timber is amazing.. I wonder if it would make your living room smell like a bit of nature if it was made into furniture??

IMG_0380.jpg

Here is a planed, dressed and sanded piece of Huon Pine ready for construction.

IMG_0381.jpg

Notice the lovely grain on this timber

IMG_0382.jpg

Cheers,

Saph.

A truly unique and beatiful piece of furniture.

Will it be positioned so that all of it is visible? Would be a shame to hide half of it by putting it in the corner of a room!

I bet your workshop smells amazing, too - we have a carpentry workshop at work and everyone who walks in stops, takes a deep breath, and smiles.

That is amazing - Its always a pleasure to see what skilled hands can do.

Given the price of flat pack cabinets I would rather pay double for something of true character such as this!

Credit where its due Saph :)

WoW :)

Back