• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diving into a Planted Tank! A Quick Introduction

Luke1939

Seedling
Evening All!

Decided to take the plunge into attempting a planted tank.

Ok back story (sorry for the essay!)

Have had fancy goldfish (2 in a rio 180) for the last 2 years and have had some planting - crypts and val in terracotta pots. which worked very well.Fancies are far to rambunctious for a properly planted tank! But I would never consider the tank as a true planted one.

Just invested in a new 400l tank 48x24x24 (from ND Aquatics - lovely tank!) for the fancies as a new home - plan was to increase to 5 - the original 2 where fully grown and far to large for the 180! ) - but have decided to go down a tropical planted tank route instead.

I had originally set up this new tank plants in a similar set up for the old tank with plants in terracotta pots with tetra soil topped with gravel. Current flora includes a crinium, various bulbs, crypts and annubis tied to slate. I seeded the new filter (Hrydor pro 600 ) and everything was running smoothly. No spikes at all. Two weeks later after sorting out the cabinet, I had pushed the filter and had accidentally kinked the out flow pipe (very tight fit for the pipework due to awkward hole placing in the back) We then went a way for a week.....

Came back to find 1 fish in a pretty bad state (lost his protective film, gone bind, blood shot skin - all in the space of week!!) and the other just not herself. The flow rate had been reduced to around 100 LPH due to the kink . The water had a massive spike in ammonia and nitrite as the water was not being circulated correctly. The fish had stopped feeding so there was a large pile of food form the autofeeder. All very bad. I had no spare filter for a hospital tank and the canister filter bacteria had pretty much been killed off. I had to euthanise the calico fantail as after 48 hours in a spare 48l tank with 25% water changes every hour he was looked no better. I managed to rehome the redcap. So all in all a sad story.

But silver lining I guess - been running the tank since and dosing with ammonia to 4ppm to run a fishless cycle. Ammonia is now being reduced to 0PPM in 24hrs (taken a week to get to that level) but nitrite levels not yet reducing, even marginally. In the meantime gave me time to think what I wanted to do. I was tempting to go back to fancies but then wanted to try something new and that would be a true planted tank.

I'm going to strip the tank down and start again. The plants I have seem to be doing ok so will save them of course. Some algae but mainly brown as it is a new set up, Will give them a thorough clean though before replanting.

The sheer volume of info out on the old web is frankly confusing when researching - A myriad of substrates , low tech/hi tech, photo periods, PAR, lumins , macro ferts - endless lists of words not really had to think about before. So figured best thing to do is chat to people who have planted tanks so here I am!

Looking forward to this new project and meeting like minded people!

Right better get a new tank project thread going!

Cheers

Luke

Welcome!
For your first tries i would advise to try a low tech approach. Can grow beautifull tanks, just slower and with a lot more leeway. If you manage this you can swith to high tech, but the investment will be bigger and it will have more demands on your time.
Lot's to learn here: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/el-natural-low-tech.27/

Thanks Chaps!

Low tech is where I want to start though (currently dosing with Seacham excel which seems to be working out ok)

Only thing so far picked up is a couple bags of 9L ADA Malaya substrate (got a good price from LFS as had rips in bags) and a piece of wood that is shaped like the next generation Enterprise Hull. I'll open a new thread and get the project kicked off.

BTW been looking at your tanks they are all just so loverly and a great inspiration to boot. Especially like the "Splendid" tank!

Back