• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus

Richard40

Are Discus difficult to keep? I’m getting an Oase Highline 200 this year and contemplating keeping a few with some tetras.

Short answer: Yes.
Also, that tank would definitely be on the small side for discus, I think possibly only being suitable for an already mated breeding pair, but I will leave that call for someone with more hands on experience with the species. You cant really keep "a few" either, they have strict social requirements when it comes to group size. I would advise you abandon the idea completely. Hope it doesnt come across as harsh, I only wish the best for the fish and for you to be successful :)

They’re not particularly hard, just need lots of water changes as they’re messy and sufficient numbers of them if you don’t have a proven pair.

However as mentioned I think your tank is too small for anything other than a proven pair.

Cheers

Short answer: Yes.
Also, that tank would definitely be on the small side for discus, I think possibly only being suitable for an already mated breeding pair, but I will leave that call for someone with more hands on experience with the species. You cant really keep "a few" either, they have strict social requirements when it comes to group size. I would advise you abandon the idea completely. Hope it doesnt come across as harsh, I only wish the best for the fish and for you to be successful :)
Everything @Hufsa said. If you get a proper setup (tank size, filtration) for the Discus and the proper maintenance down they are not that much harder than other big Cichlids... people usually fail (I did, twice) with Discus because they toss in way too many for the tank size and not keeping up the maintenance requirements... they are big messy eaters, and everything you feed comes back out fast...and they grow fairly quickly... Even for a small group of say 6 juveniles I would go no lower than 400 liters, with great filtration, a good varied diet and WCs twice a week.

Cheers,
Michael

I think you will get much more enjoyment out of keeping some smaller cichlids in that tank with your tetras. I have a tnak that size and keep a pair of apistos and it works great, some apistos or rams are small but they are really entertaining and beautiful. Better to keep a few groups of interesting small fish and make them really really happy, than keep a few big fish that are stressed and need very high maintence as the size isn't really big enough.

I think you will get much more enjoyment out of keeping some smaller cichlids in that tank with your tetras. I have a tnak that size and keep a pair of apistos and it works great, some apistos or rams are small but they are really entertaining and beautiful. Better to keep a few groups of interesting small fish and make them really really happy, than keep a few big fish that are stressed and need very high maintence as the size isn't really big enough.
Very well said @shangman ! - that advice goes a very long way.... not just for Discus.

I think difficulty can be challenged nowadays in terms of care with the fact they have been bred for so long, they are adaptable to very different water conditions now amd far hardier. So if difficulty means keeping them alive, I don't think they are particularly a problem but as mentioned the social hierarchy they have as cichlids is the main issue and the reason why a large tank is by far the best option.
Lots of people who try discus in similar sized tanks to yours just don't get to enjoy them because there is problem after problem, meaning they often move away from the hobby. Smaller fish can be more harmonious and just as interesting.

Back