• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus, the king of the aquarium!

Adorable jewels of a fish, but they poop too much for me :)

View from my couch right now...

IMG_20200809_213612.jpg

Hi all,
I had to take out the plants, too much organic waste due to rotting of plants.
You could try Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes), it is <"widely distributed in the Amazon"> and not bothered by high temperature. The updated link for TomC's travelogue page is <"Collecting in Pebas 2008....">

They are <"very effective at nutrient removal">. (If the link stops working the paper is: Victor et al. (2016) "Phytoremediation of wastewater toxicity using water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)" International Journal of Phytoremediation 18)

The worry I would have is that if you don't have any plants you are reliant on the filter for nitrification and that becomes a single point of failure.
They cost a fortune to buy
It would honestly stop me sleeping, I'd be up every 1/2 hour to make sure the filter was still working.

You can re-arrange this into a sentence, but if anything went wrong "wife", "remove", "wear", "t*sticles as earrings" comes to mind.

cheers Darrel

I have discus one tank is a 75g that is heavily planted with CO2 that is home to 7 discus, it is in my office I will post a picture later.

Hi all, You could try Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes), it is <"widely distributed in the Amazon"> and not bothered by high temperature. The updated link for TomC's travelogue page is <"Collecting in Pebas 2008....">

They are <"very effective at nutrient removal">. (If the link stops working the paper is: Victor et al. (2016) "Phytoremediation of wastewater toxicity using water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)" International Journal of Phytoremediation 18)

The worry I would have is that if you don't have any plants you are reliant on the filter for nitrification and that becomes a single point of failure.It would honestly stop me sleeping, I'd be up every 1/2 hour to make sure the filter was still working.

You can re-arrange this into a sentence, but if anything went wrong "wife", "remove", "wear", "t*sticles as earrings" comes to mind.

cheers Darrel

Thank you, very useful information as always about the plants!
I will look into those, and see if I can grow them. Plats I had were all epis and were on wood, I have just sand, only anubias survived, but ended up covered in brown due to beef heart. I put the anubias in the nano shrimp tank, you cannot believe they are the same plants, in three days, they are now spotless.

I hear you about the cost, it made me chuckle, my wife was the same at the beginning, but now she loves them, and that gives me a bit more room to maneuver really.

I have discus one tank is a 75g that is heavily planted with CO2 that is home to 7 discus, it is in my office I will post a picture later.
Looking forward to seeing the photos.
I have other high tech tanks, but without a pH controlled co2 system, not sure I would be brave enough. I once gassed a school of fish in my EA 600, I would be devastated if same happens to my discus.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
I have other high tech tanks, but without a pH controlled co2 system, not sure I would be brave enough. I once gassed a school of fish in my EA 600, I would be devastated if same happens to my discus.

One of the discus is hiding. We almost gassed a tank, luckily I came back to the office, that is when I switched to Art Co2 dual stage regulators.

Dual filters for capacity and redundancy not flow and redundant heaters, CO2 and photo sessions are 9 hours each with CO2 coming on and off an hour earlier. Daily dosing of fert.

IMG_4163.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg

Last edited:
Just realised the first pic is before a rescape
Love that tank mate!

I'm hoping next year to do my dream aquarium having just acquired the space to do so.
Will be a minimum of 6x2x2 but I'd like to go bigger (access is down a narrow flight of stairs :() full of discus. Luckily I have one of the top UK guys right on my doorstep and in the past have bred and kept a 400l discus tank that was pretty heavily planted. Advice I'd give is if you are going planted, save and buy the biggest discus you can afford. Trying to grow on small discus in a planted aquarium is quite the pain. Last time I did discus I was doing everything on a cheap budget, no co2 for plants, couple of cheap t5 light fixtures, growing on diddy £10 discus. I managed some success, eventually breeding a couple pairs myself but it was quite stressful making sure they all got enough to eat etc in a planted tank.

Managed to dig up a few old photos. They weren't the best scapes ever but the plants did grow half decent considering.
DSC_00531_zps8ca23139.jpg
DSC_01121_zps0eabd1ee.jpg
DSC_01131_zpsd9c3d4ba.jpg
DSC_01151_zps671bd906.jpg

I then got a bit sick of the messy look and escaped to something a bit cleaner for a while.

DSC_01771_zpsf288f723.jpg
DSC_01791_zpsa65a4163.jpg

These pics are all a good 7 years old so excuse the poor quality. My phone camera would have been naff ha.

Back