• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus temperature plant help.

NorthernDan

Hi guys
I'm on planning for new 6ft Discus tank and wanted some opinions on my plant shortlist and any other ideas as to what might survive/thrive at 28-29 degrees Celsius.
Tank will be run on co2 and reasonable lighting (probably Chihiros Wrgb2 or similar). I've tried to stay within the easy category as from my own research that seems the way to go. Some of these plants are coming from my current tank.

- Anubias petite
-Bucephalandra (sp red and Kedagang)
  • Crypt (Parva and Wendtii)
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Java moss
  • Java fern (petite, narrow leaf, trident)
  • Lagenandra Meeboldii Red
  • Limnophila Sessiliflora

My plan was a simple triangular type layout with a decent beach at the front to make cleaning up after the discus easier. Limnophilia at the back, ferns in front with everything else dotted around.
Can anyone foresee issues with my plans?

Hi,
i currently have a discus tank at 28c and i can grow any hygrophilia, rotala hra, pogostemon stellata, valisneria, echinodorus tennelum, crypt wendiiti brown.

I was not able to grow cabomba and another one that i miss the name atm.

My gh is 5 and kh 7 dosing EI.

You will have to adapt ypur discus slowly to co2 when pass the 1 ph point. They will take it over weeks of small increase (0.25) if you need to do so.

Hi,
i currently have a discus tank at 28c and i can grow any hygrophilia, rotala hra, pogostemon stellata, valisneria, echinodorus tennelum, crypt wendiiti brown.

I was not able to grow cabomba and another one that i miss the name atm.

My gh is 5 and kh 7 dosing EI.

You will have to adapt ypur discus slowly to co2 when pass the 1 ph point. They will take it over weeks of small increase (0.25) if you need to do so.
Thanks for the response. The Discus wont be added for a few months yet. I've had Discus planted tanks before with success but I must admit to running that tank at 26.5-27degrees previously. Seems most plants when you look at tropica for example will go to 28 easy enough but that seems the cut off. Not much information out there for higher temps.

I'm on planning for new 6ft Discus tank and wanted some opinions on my plant shortlist and any other ideas as to what might survive/thrive at 28-29 degrees Celsius.
Hi,
As long as there is sufficient CO2 there really not many plants that will suffer at 28/29 degrees. Higher temperatures increase the plants metabolism, but these temperatures also are even more conducive to algal blooms. A good practice is to limit the light intensity in order to arrest the increased metabolism induced by the higher temperatures. Gases are much less soluble in water at higher temperatures.
Here is a tank that operated at 33/34 degrees during the summer:
8398037520_3e2796da9a_c.jpg

Cheers,

Back