• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus - Tap Water?

Mark Webb

Anybody successfully keeping Discus in Tap Water without proccessing through RO?

Yep :0) Bred them in it too ;)

RO is much better though, i can see a marked difference in the Discus i've kept recently since getting an RO unit.

Thanks Dan, so they will survive then. Just looking at options for a 220 gallon tank but dont really want to be wasting 800 gallons a week to produce 100 gallons of RO for one water change per week :crazy:

If your tapwater is soft enough then an RO isnt needed but I would recomend an HMA filter which takes all the nastys out of the tapwater ie Heavy Metals, chlorine etc a decent one is about £50 and theres no waste from them, German discus like Stendkers will thrive in this water even if its on the harder side take a look at Devotedly Discus's site hes the man for German Strains !!!!!!!!!!!!

JazzyJeff said:
If your tapwater is soft enough then an RO isnt needed but I would recomend an HMA filter which takes all the nastys out of the tapwater ie Heavy Metals, chlorine etc a decent one is about £50 and theres no waste from them, German discus like Stendkers will thrive in this water even if its on the harder side take a look at Devotedly Discus's site hes the man for German Strains !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jeff, what PH is soft enough?

Have to admit my wife wants discus too, just in the process of moving to Cumbria where the water (much to my surprise) seems to be much softer than that up in the North of Scotland so HMA filter it will be for me too.

PH for discus isnt really an issue IMO unless they are wild caught or you want too seriously breed them, mine are in 7.2ish probably higher, wilds will like it at the low end of 6 to 6.5 but even they can be brought up too higher PH over a period of time.....
Test your PH on your tapwater and let us know what it is also the hardness levels .......

Hi

I'd agree with jeff. My discus water is around the 6.75 mark, and is a mix of RO and HMA. Although I dont breed them, there are 3 pairs in the tank, and they all lay eggs regularly. I think the key is to try to match the water of whoever supplies them to you initially, then if you want to acclimatise them to your 'own' water do it over a few months.

Tony

Hi,
I keep my Discus in dechlorinated tap water and they spawn every other week,
Since getting Discus i,ve took the advice from the breeder to keep a Ph under neutral,
Everyones tap water is different and alot of folk do recommend using an HMA filter,
My tapwater is around 6.8, but has a low Kh reading of 1 which was causing my Ph to be very unstable.
Crushed oyster shells in the filter and i,ve got Ph 6.6,,,Kh 3,,,Gh 6,,, and my Discus and other tankmates are all very healthy.
Billy,

Thanks all. Just installed an HMA filter. PH is 6.58 with a KH of 8. GH6

billko said:
Hi,
I keep my Discus in dechlorinated tap water and they spawn every other week,
Since getting Discus i,ve took the advice from the breeder to keep a Ph under neutral,
Everyones tap water is different and alot of folk do recommend using an HMA filter,
My tapwater is around 6.8, but has a low Kh reading of 1 which was causing my Ph to be very unstable.
Crushed oyster shells in the filter and i,ve got Ph 6.6,,,Kh 3,,,Gh 6,,, and my Discus and other tankmates are all very healthy.
Billy,

does it have to be oyster shell?

Back