• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dirt tank what cap

Brad123

Hi all, I'm thinking of redoing the substrate (dirt pond compast) just have 2 questions
1: can I cap it with play sand? Not to sure what the clown loach will do. I've got the play sand left over from the sand pit
2: I've got a tank full of fish can I add them in after I'm finished redoing the substrate.

My experience with playsand it can be used a cap but only Ina very lightly stocked shrimp or small placid fish aquarium as it finds its way into the soil and worsens as you have to adjust any planting. Be risky with Clown Loach too, a fine gravel would be my choice

My experience with playsand it can be used a cap but only Ina very lightly stocked shrimp or small placid fish aquarium as it finds its way into the soil and worsens as you have to adjust any planting. Be risky with Clown Loach too, a fine gravel would be my choice
Thanks it was what I was thinking just wanted to get someone else a pinion.
I suspect you'll find your answers in the
Dirted Planted Tank Tutorial
:)
Thanks for that have been through that post a few times

There is considerable discussion as to suitable gravel/sand particle size & depth, also dirt layer depth - I thought it was all in the tutorial but perhaps it's elsewhere - there are a few opinions & depending on tank goals/needs, results vary

I certainly would not use any fine sand as a dirt "over layer" - even if it remains mostly upwards (above soil), oxygenation is poor, especially as sand/gravel layer depth increases
And running this with fish that are known substrate churners, is really a gamble - at best there is a mess, at worst lots of dead fish/shrimp from anaerobic area gasses being released into the water column

Back