• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dimming or reduced time?

Chris_Homan

New tank, 90l Superfish Aquascaper with standard LED strip. No CO2.

I would like to keep my lights on for as long as I can but know this will cause algae to grow. Now what is better, reducing the time lights are on or reducing brightness with a dimmer?

Both will achieve the same result.

Drop the brightness right down and slowly raise it over several weeks/months.

Both will achieve the same result.
Hi Nick,
This is not technically correct. Damage to plant tissues is primarily done by excessive intensity when the level of CO2 is inadequate. This results in a toxic buildup of electrons which then forms radicals such as Hydrogen Peroxide within the plant tissues which damages the tissues - essentially eating the plant from the inside.
If the intensity is too high then of course, the damage will be exacerbated by long duration. If the light intensity is low however then the duration has much less effect, there is a greater likelihood that the CO2 shortage will not be as acute and the plant can spend a lot of time under low intensity without problems since radical production will be limited.

Always therefore reduce intensity first.

Cheers,

@Chris_Homan, by far, intensity (brightness) is the most important factor. I run my light intensity very low, and have tons of floating plants (frogbit) in both my two densely planted non-CO2 tanks, but I keep the photoperiod for a solid 12 hours including sunrise/sunset ramping (kind of like it is around the equator where most of our livestock is from originally). And now I at least have a sense of why it works thanks to @ceg4048's explanation above. An added bonus of running the lights for long hours is that I get more opportunities to enjoy my tanks!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Granted the below vid is for corals so just food for thought. As to my own opinion, I' m not convinced either way as long as one is not pushing much past the light compensation point like 50 par for 12 hours vs 75 for 8 hours. 200 par for 3 hours might be an issue though exact effects are ???
Carotenoids and peroxides :
Obviously nutrients need to be available in all situations
Go to about 5:00.

we

Last edited:
Granted the below vid is for corals so just food for thought. As to my own opinion, I' m not convinced either way as long as one is not pushing much past the light compensation point like 50 par for 12 hours vs 75 for 8 hours. 200 par for 3 hours might be an issue though exact effects are ???
Very difficult to draw parallels with corals because other than the basic processes the mechanisms are different. Whereas direct chloroplast interaction occurs in freshwater plants the corals are interacting via symbiosis with zooplankton intermediaries.
Plants have direct interactions via their chloroplasts and the superoxides have direct effects on their tissues.
It's not possible to predict what the effects of the PAR increases are without knowledge of the CO2 in those circumstances. 50 micromoles for 12 hours may be deadly while 200 micromoles for 3 hours may be fine depending on CO2/flow/distribution.
In the OPs case, the CO2 is only at dissolved atmospheric levels and so lowering the light intensity to moderate levels just above LCP will be fine all day long. If he increases the intensity however, then there definitely will be damage, the amount proportional to the intensity increase. In fact, we see examples of this every day. The phenomenon discussed in the video is not completely applicable in our case.

Cheers,

Well yes it was mostly posted to show that differences can occur .
The coral "algae" symbionts "see" the same high light products and damage. It is different but not that much.
In a sense since both are in a relatively CO2(g) limited environment and never water limited coral "algae" may be more reflective than using terrestrials.
Of course our little plants don' t have the luxury of expelling themselves (bleaching) if high light "toxins" threaten to damage themselves.

Pieces of a complex puzzle

Last edited:
Back