• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diluting Seachem Safe (Prime)

ForestDave

Hi
Do any of the chemists on the forum know whether a small batch of Seachem Safe will remain stable if diluted with de-ionised water to a Prime concentration and stored in an old Prime bottle? I bought some Seachem Safe as an alternative to Prime, to save some cash. I have some tiny spoons to measure it out which works fine but it gives off some toxic particles and smells quite sulphurous. It doesn’t feel good on my lungs and I should start wearing a mask when using it. If I can dilute a batch it would make it a bit easier to use.
Cheers!

Honestly that sounds very odd. I have safe and while it does have a slight sulfur smell (not nearly as much as prime), it is pretty neautral smelling without any harsh chemical odor. Maybe yours is tainted?

Seachem safe contains no stabalizers, no idea how important or relevant that is but here's the speel from seachem.

FAQ: Can I mix Seachem Safe® with water to make Prime®?​

Seachem Support 10256August 07, 2020 04:04
Safe® does not have the stabilizers, like Prime®, to keep it stable in liquid form. We do not recommend mixing it and storing it for future use.
If you are dosing a large number of tanks, it is fine to dilute the Safe® into a little water for easy dosing, but we recommend to discard this solution after 24 hours.

Thanks. That answers my question then! 👍
As for the smell I’m probably over sensitive about smells from years of inhaling VOC’s and dust at work. I’ll stick a mask on just in case. Cheers

Back