• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diffusing standard lighting.

Martin cape

Hi guys,

I have a Rio 180 with the standard T5 light unit. 2x 45w.

I'm getting a bit of algae as I think the light is too much driving a bigger demand for CO2 which I can't meet without harming the fish. I'm at the top end of CO2 ppm.

Is there a way of diffusing the light slightly? Can't use floating plants as my flow is too much at the surface.

Could I stretch a pair of tights across the length of the tube? Any other ideas?

Glass or perspex will reduce the lighting intensity slightly, without an unsightly pair or tights around your tank :D

Glass or perspex will reduce the lighting intensity slightly, without an unsightly pair or tights around your tank :D

Haha.

It's easier to get a pair of tights round a bulb than glass or Perspex. Dunno how I would manage that to be honest.

How does the lid sit on the tank? You could cut slots and slide a piece in, or silicone it to the lid. How you'd get to the bulbs is up to you.

Probably best you wait for someone who actually knows what they're talking about :confused:

Edit: That stuff in the link looks good, but if its not rigid, it might be a pain to utilise. Could you not just take the reflectors out of your current setup?

Have you considered that it might not be a light issue?

What filter are you using? It could be the age old story of poor CO² distribution.

I have a decent external. 1400lph from that, JBL e1501 then 2 Koralia Nano 900's either side of the spray bar. So 3200lph in total. Only a 180 litre tank.

I had thought of increasing the powerheads to 2000lph either side.

I don't see why not. I still think you're going down the wrong route, however. I imagine there are many people who use the same lights as you with success.

How long is your photoperiod? When does the CO2 come on? How often do you do water changes, and at what time? What plants are you growing?

I think you're better off trying to solve what is lacking, rather than assuming you have an overabundance of light.

Having read your other posts, its quite clear that you don't want to alter any other variable other than lighting. Its true that lower light will allow for a wider margin of error, while still achieving good results (albeit slower).

Does the light fixture work with only 1 bulb in? I currently have a 75L tank with a single 24w HO T5, and it provides perfectly adequate light for good growth.

Cheers Henry,

Here is the list if plants I have:

Various Crypts
1 Amazon Sword
Alternanthera reineckii lilacina
Rotala rotundifolia
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Anubias Nana
Flame and Java moss
Blyxa Japonica
Hemianthus callitrichoides

My lights are on 6 hours a day with CO2 starting 4 hours before lights on and going off 3 hours before lights off.

I do 50% water change every week in the morning, before CO2 starts.

I dose EI too, and add baking soda and calcium chloride to increase hardness.

I have managed to block one of the tubes at the front with one of the reflectors. So now I have 45w in total with a reflector on it. Ya think that will be enough?
na9ede2a.jpg

I can't imagine any of those plants suffering. The Hc might need trimming to keep it trained to the substrate, but I reckon everything will do fine.

I'm not sure how lowering the light will affect the other specific variables.

It's hard work getting that HC to settle in. As you say, it's spreading and growing and its hardly touching the sand.

Think I'm going to get 2 bigger powerheads when I get some money. Add a bit more flow. It can only help.

If your light is lower, the CO2 demand will be much lower so high flow, while still important, will not be as critical as before.

Please bear in mind I am only speaking from experience of "lower tech" tanks, so my word is not gospel.

Back