• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Differential fish reaction to excess CO2?

William Wescott

I just swapped CO2 cylinders (Sodastream) in my aquarium, and it looks as if the input is much higher with the new one than the old one. This had never occurred before, but excrement happens. Of course, I cut off the CO2 and increased aeration at the Neoflow inlet so it gurgles all the time. I haven't collected enough RO water for a significant water change at this point. But the CO2 change doesn't seem life-threatening yet. Tomorrow I'll check the CO2 net input with 2hR Aquarist's system (Take a pH reading after a couple of hours of CO2; shake a water sample continuously for five minutes to degas the CO2; and then take another pH reading after the CO2 has been expelled.) and make further adjustments.

However, the really strange thing is that only a minority of fish are showing real distress by hanging at the surface and gulping. Two out of five rasboras are doing that, and maybe one otocinclus of three is closer to the top than usual. (No way to see an oto gulp, is there?) All the fish were a little more sluggish than usual at feeding time, but only those few are going for the upper reaches.

Back