• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Differences between regulators

JamieB

Hi all, Co2 newbie here. Looking to get my first FE setup going.

What's the difference between the dual and single stage regulators? Specifically the following:
http://www.co2art.co.uk/store/regul...dual-stage-regulator-solenoid-magnetic-valve/
http://www.co2art.co.uk/store/regul...egulator-dual-gauged-solenoid-magnetic-valve/

I'd prefer to save money but still get a proper setup. My tank is only a 20L at the moment (the planted one) but in the future I plan to get a 300L(ish) so would like it to be future proof as well.

Any advice you could give would be great.

http://www.scottecatalog.com/scottt...a7f5c80b3c5a399e8525694a0053a98b?OpenDocument

Both the regulators are dual gauged, showing tank pressure (normally 55bar, until empty) and output pressure normally 2-5bar.

The dual stage is superior as it allows the output pressure to be adjusted and will maintain better pressure regulation especially when tank is getting empty. However both are adequate regulators for a planted tank (or else they wouldn't be selling them).

I have a single stage regulator (with dual gauges) and works fine with Up inline diffuser, though bubble rate does decrease slightly when CO2 tank is empty and pressure starts dropping significantly below 55bar. Change cylinder and bubble rate returns fine.

Some people have reported "end of tank" dump issues with single stage regulators, usually not the type above, though this type get "tarred" with this reputation, where when tank pressure falls the regulator looses regulation and empties the CO2 into the tank, gassing the fish. Not seen this with my CO2Supermaket single stage regulator, as the tank pressure falls the bubble rate reduces slightly and over a couple of days get less and less, (and eventually does stop) but is just indicating CO2 tank needs changing.

Also with these "cheaper" dual stage regulator (proper dual stage regulators cost £100-£200) some people have reported issues with interaction between pressure setting, needle valve setting, pipe length and possible pipe leaks where they get "oscillating" bubble rates and are unable to set constant and repeatable bubble rate.

Urgh, even more confused now! Sorry :p Maybe Co2 is not for me :(

Hello,

Firstly thank you for your interest in our products.

Both regulators will do same job, single stage is set to 3.5bar where dual stage you can adjust yourself up to 5 bar.

If you thinking about getting bigger aquarium I would suggest to buy dual stage as with this regulator you will be able to run smouthly two or more diffusers (which you may need in bigger aquarium).

In regard to fine tuning, if you will have any problems setting correct bubble rate with any of our regulators. Please feel free to contact us and we will definitely find solution for you.

Let us know if you need any help or advice.

Best regards
Karol

Basically, some in line diffusers need the pressure to be set a little higher than normal to work properly, and some in tank diffusers will get away with less pressure. This is when having the adjustable pressure one is useful as you can set the pressure to whatever you need it to be, up to about 5 bar. The other kind is set at 3.5 bar, which should run nearly all diffusers fine, but you just lose the ability to change it if you ever decided you wanted to. To be honest, the one in your second link (cheaper, non-adjustable) will be fine to get you started off, and you may never need one with adjustable working pressure. I have two tanks both with co2 using non-adjustable type regulators and they work just fine, one running an inline diffuser and one running an in tank.

Back