• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatoms in new aquarium

dchollo82

Hi all,

Just about to enter week 4 of a new low tech nano set up and came back after 3 days away with diatoms spread across a lot of the leaves. Immediately did a water change. Understand this is part of a new set up but this feels excessive? I managed to remove some of it by hand by rubbing off with my finger and thumb.

Anyone have any tips on combating this? I’ve read about trimming the leaves that are coated to help promote new growth due to then coated leaves not being able to fight off the algae anymore?
My lighting comes on full by default when on a timer and can only be dimmed manually after it comes on. I thought about taping up some of the LEDs to get around this?
Thanks

Hi
You need to get some surface plants....be it fast-growing stems left on the surface or floating plants!
It's a method I always use, and I reap the benefits later as the aquarium matures.
4 weeks is not long for a new set-up aquarium.

You need to get some surface plants....be it fast-growing stems left on the surface or floating plants!
It's a method I always use, and I reap the benefits later as the aquarium matures.
4 weeks is not long for a new set-up aquarium.
This is very true. It takes quite some time for the ecosystem to get stable.

@dchollo82 Send me a PM and I’ll post some floating plants to you if you want them (assuming you’re in the UK.)

There is not much you can do other that syphoning when water change. Bucklup ugly phase has started , for me it lasts good month or two.

You can add add some amanos if parameters allow it.
Was planning on adding cherry shrimp first. Are amanos more useful?

Thanks for the tips. Ok yeh would have to wait for breeding if I went with cherrys. Ok to add Amanos in now at 4 weeks or should I wait a couple more weeks? Tank is cycled

I’m not planning on putting a heater in this one so was thinking a few guppies. My daughter is keen on them over tetras 🙂

I’m not planning on putting a heater in this one so was thinking a few guppies. My daughter is keen on them over tetras 🙂
I really struggle to keep Guppy's alive these days! (Maybe I am Dr Death for them?!). So much so I am not keeping them anymore. Doing some research, it does seem to be becoming more common that they are not hardy fish. Again, maybe its just me or my local suppliers - but I cant keep them as its too heartbreaking for me.

Back