• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatom problem

Nont

Hello,

I’m constantly fighting diatom ever since I set up this tank, and its getting worse as time passes

3EF25B5A-80E4-41EA-B544-11CCB9D70477.jpeg
2A43BA8F-AC9A-43E4-BC60-A591710F9A26.jpeg
AF122FB6-1D7B-4312-BE82-0C840F50EAD5.jpeg
53647F17-A225-47BF-BB46-5579C35D03D9.jpeg

Details:
1. Size of tank in litres. - 70 litres
2. Age of the setup. - 54 days
3. Filtration. - Sunsun HW603 and Surface skimmer with 400l/h flowrate each
4. Lighting and duration. - Chihiros A-series A501, 6 hours at 50%
5. Substrate. - Black gravel, osmocote are also added into gravel.
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. - Citric Acid CO2
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios. - Azoo Plant Premium, about 5ml weekly, LFS unbranded micro fert 2ml daily
8. Water change regime and type. - 60-75% weekly, glass clean but no gravel vac
9. Plant list + When planted. - Bacopa caroliniana, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. ‘Green’, Limnophila sp. ‘Wavy’, Helanthium tenellum ‘Red’, Ludwigia palustris, Ludwigia repens.
10. Inhabitants. Zebra danios
11. Temperature - 30-33c

Last edited:
Doesn't look to bad off the photos , quite common for a fairly new set up. Not familiar with your light.Others can advise with your lighting. Why not add some clean up crew. Maybe several W/C a week for now. Add some floating plants will give you idea of nutrient needs . Notice your temperature on the high side but unavoidable in your location. suppose.@Hanuman has journal and is in your country so can advise on the temperature?

Diatoms are normal in such a new scape. They'll go eventually. If you don't mind snails you could add some and they will take care of it.
Yes temperature is on the high side there. I think above 30ºC things start to get tricky to handle CO2 wise as the higher it goes the less CO2 dissolves in water. Is there a way you can decrease that temps to say 28/29C at least by changing the location of the tank? If not then using some fans on top of the tank should decrease temps by 2-3 degrees. Just keep in mind that evaporation will also increase so you will need to top off with water more regularly.
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. - Citric Acid CO2
Unrelated to diatoms and I hate to say this, but this will create more problems and headaches down the road and cost you more than having pressurized CO2. If you can use pressurized CO2 I would highly suggest you do.

Hi there, thanks for the replies :)
Why not add some clean up crew. Maybe several W/C a week for now. Add some floating plants will give you idea of nutrient needs
Just added some Otos and MTS, hopefully the snails doesn’t breed like crazy though.
As for the water changes, do I need to add ferts after doing it or only add when floaters turn yellow?
Is there a way you can decrease that temps to say 28/29C at least by changing the location of the tank? If not then using some fans on top of the tank should decrease temps by 2-3 degrees.
I’m currently using the fan, it doesn’t really help much as I live down south of Thailand.
Unrelated to diatoms and I hate to say this, but this will create more problems and headaches down the road and cost you more than having pressurized CO2. If you can use pressurized CO2 I would highly suggest you do.
I might go low-tech after all plants have grown. I might change my decision in the future.

@Nont l would just carry on with how your doing your fertilising regime as your plants look ok . Unless your floating plant indicate a need to then you can increase and observe.

Back