• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deficiency showing on floating plant.

si walker

I have never really had much luck with floating plants.
The new growth seems to crumble away. I find it floating around the outside of the tank.
Noticed the micro holes in the leaves today.
These have been in about 2 weeks.
Low tech tank.
Any remedies?
Thanks!!

IMG_20220519_215109337.jpg

Do you run aeration? I had an issue with floaters getting pinholes and it ended up stopping when I ceased overnight aeration. I think the water droplets from the bubbles popping were causing issues on the leaf surface.

I am running an air stone, but surely that wouldn't affect the leaves would it? This is the part I don't understand about floating plants. Should the leaves literally be above the surface? (To float?) Mine are not. It's very difficult to control if you have a small tank/ filter and airstone. Hmmm?
Regarding feets I have been putting in a lot less over the last few weeks. Been using a TDS Meter as a guage. They haven't been in long so I can't really compare.

My assumption was that the small drops on the leaf surface from the bubbles popping at the surface were causing pinholes. Either through the constant damp or focussing light when the lights came on.
The red root floaters I have always have the leaves above the surface of the water, I assumed they needed this as they are hydrophobic, which I assume is for a reason.

How on earth do people keep their floating plants from getting dragged into the water column?
If the filter doesn't do it the blooomin shrimp drag em down.

The Duck Weed pro will be along in a mo!

H all,
The Duck Weed pro will be along in a mo
Not very pro with Phyllanthus fluitans, both times I've had it it has eventually lost the struggle for existence and has <"gone under in the scum of surface plants">.
Noticed the micro holes in the leaves today.
Regarding ferts I have been putting in a lot less over the last few weeks. Been using a TDS Meter as a gauge. They haven't been in long so I can't really compare.
I think that is a nutrient deficiency.

cheers Darrel

Back