• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Declorinators in planted tanks

tubamanandy

Do declorinators cause any issues in planted tanks ?

I filter all my replacement tank water through carbon blocks and never use a declorinator but I am aware this will not stop chloramine so thinking of using a declorinator assuming no issues in a planted tank

Dechlorinators can reduce the amount of oxygen available in water. So if you are using a lot of CO2 or use a high dose of dechlorinator (some instructions allow for situations where you might want to increase the standard dose) that might be something to keep in mind just so you can factor it in.

Dechlorinators can reduce the amount of oxygen available in water. So
Be very careful, this is myth that get perpetuated to become a false truth that rears its head every so often. Whilst dechlorinators are generally reducing agents they generally will not reduce oxygen in any measurable amount. You would have to massively overdose dechlorinator to have any effect on oxygen levels. So dechlorinate away, just double dose if you suspect chloramine in the water, oxygen levels will not be affected.

Just found this from the Prime "horses mouth".
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1244-prime-overdose-vs-oxygen?t=2803

So having high CO2 or overdosing excel, maybe throwing in a hot day, at the same time as you overdose dechlorinator won't be enough to cause an issue with oxygen?

So having high CO2 or overdosing excel, maybe throwing in a hot day, at the same time as you overdose dechlorinator won't be enough to cause an issue with oxygen?
Maybe.

But your really shouldn't be overdosing CO2, Excel and dechlorinator if you are in control of your high tech tank.

Back