• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dechlorinator choice

Vanish

I use a standard Dechlorinator designed for use in aquariums, and now that I am carting out 50% water changes weekly I'm getting through a fair bit if the stuff.
I also have a pond which I have a Dechlorinator for. This stuff is a lot stronger than the aquarium one, i.e only 10ml per 150l as a-posed to 5ml per 20l. So supposing I use the pond Dechlorinator for my aquarium old this be safe.
As i like to call a spade, a spade then I'd take a guess that it would be, but thought I'd run it past the boffins in here.

monochloramine could affect fish in low concentrations. Might get away with it normally but if the water company boost the dose.....

It does look like sodium thiosulfate will remove chloramine but will produce Ammonia and HCl as a product. The more i read the more i want a RO unit :p
I wonder if the retail product have anything else in them.

Thanks for your replies. Seachem looks good to me. Always up for a bit of cost cutting.

HMA filter?

No waste water like an RO filter.

Leaves the KH/GH in the water too.

When I was breeding fish and had my fish room i used various pond dechlorinators for the same reasons your looking at and I never had any issues after a few years using these I moved to an hma filter and was never really happy with it, the main reason was i just wasn't confident it was removing all the chlorine, chloramine etc so still dosed hma with dechlorinators just for peace of mind

Mark

Well it ain't killing my cherry shrimp so I'm happy with it.

I suppose knowing when to change the elements is the important bit.

I hook mine up to mixer tap get the water temp right and run the hose straight into the tank.

I'm going for yearly changeout of elements. Hopefully that will do the trick and I won't wipe out a tankful on month eleven.

I'm about to start using Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) as it is supposed to take out both chlorine and chloramines. Has anyone else used this?

I'm about to start using Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) as it is supposed to take out both chlorine and chloramines. Has anyone else used this?
Well it would work acid reacting with the chlorine (not sure about chloramine). But think that it could cause serious issues, as it would react with any hardness as well as chlorine (and chloramine?) thus what dose you require would depend on water hardness and will be a major danger to live stock as any excess will make the water acidic.

If you want to go cheap on dechlorinator sodium thiosulphate is cheap on ebay.

Well it would work acid reacting with the chlorine (not sure about chloramine). But think that it could cause serious issues, as it would react with any hardness as well as chlorine (and chloramine?) thus what dose you require would depend on water hardness and will be a major danger to live stock as any excess will make the water acidic.

If you want to go cheap on dechlorinator sodium thiosulphate is cheap on ebay.

I've used it in the past but it does not neutralise chloramines.

The ammount of Vit C used is too small to have much of an impact on hardness od acidity.

Thanks for your replies. Seachem looks good to me. Always up for a bit of cost cutting.

Buy it in larger quantities from places like Warehouse Aquatics and it is cheaper than most places, and also lasts forever.

Back