• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dechlorination

Ian61

Hello. What is the consensus re best method for dechlorinating tap water? My instinct tells me removing chlorine etc using carbon before adding tap water to a tank should be preferable to adding other chemicals to the tank to ‘neutralise’ it

Just use a good de-chlorinator? Using carbon is a form of chemical filtration, but ive not heard of it being used to de- chlorinate tap water.

What is the consensus re best method for dechlorinating tap water?
Hi @Ian61

It's not just chlorine that's a potential problem in tap water. And, nowadays, some water companies use chloramine instead of chlorine to disinfect tap water. So, it's a little more complex than it first appears. There is also no reason to be concerned about 'other chemicals' - it all depends what chemicals are used. I suggest that you have a read of the following and then ask any remaining questions that you may have. A very popular tap water conditioner is Seachem Prime. I use it and millions of other aquarists use it.

JPC

Hi. Thanks for that. My more recent fishkeeping exploits have been in koi keeping where it seems to be very much standard practice to pass tap water through an activated carbon filter before entering the pond water. This is related to removal of chlorine/chloramine and heavy metals in particular. Clearly the water volumes involved are different but one would imagine the principles are the same.

Actually activated carbon should not be used unless removing medication from water. As for water dechlorinator, I use standard API water dechlorinator and it is more than sufficient. I am not sure whether its choramines or chlorine that is broken down to ammonia.

Hi Cherries. Can you explain why carbon shouldn’t be used on tap water for water changes?

Hi Jaypeecee. Thanks for the link but can’t say it has changed my opinion. Quite a list of chemicals there that I might prefer not to add to my water if avoidable

Activated carbon will remove chlorine, but not chloramine or metals. It's also good for organic compounds, but those are unlikely to be a problem in UK tapwater.
Catalytic carbon will remove chloramine as well as chlorine.
A good tapwater conditioner will remove or neutralise chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, ammonia and nitrite.
Your water supplier may not routinely use chloramine, but they may use it occasionally to treat a particular problem or risk, so it's good to be protected against chloramine.

Thanks Sparky. Didn’t realise chloramine wasn’t reliably removed by carbon. Not sure whether it’s ever added to water here.

Hi all,
Your water supplier may not routinely use chloramine, but they may use it occasionally to treat a particular problem or risk, so it's good to be protected against chloramine.
Didn’t realise chloramine wasn’t reliably removed by carbon. Not sure whether it’s ever added to water here.
I think all water companies have the option for chloramine dosing. The EU limit on <"faecal coliform bacteria"> in tap water is really stringent, which means that as soon as the integrity of the water main is threatened they add <"emergency chloramine dosing">.

I'm not a <"tap water user">, but if I was I'd use a water conditioner like <"Prime">.

cheers Darrel

Does any one have formulations for de-chlorination/de-chloramination. Judging by aquarium ferts I assume they they are also expensive compared to the actual ingredients.
The forum has done a lot of work on EI mixes, time for a new venture someone.

Hi all,
Does any one have formulations for de-chlorination/de-chloramination. Judging by aquarium ferts I assume they they are also expensive compared to the actual ingredients.
Kordon's Amquel <"has a patent"> and I'd be surprised if the composition of "Prime" was chemically much different.

This is probably the best we've got <"Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium"> by Randy Holmes-Farley.
...... Other products, such as hydroxymethanesulfonate (HOCH2SO3-; a known ammonia binder15 patented for aquarium uses by John F. Kuhns16 (sold as Amquel by Kordon and ClorAm-X by Reed Mariculture, among others) can be used to treat chloraminated water because they both break down chloramine and bind up the ammonia.

The reaction of ammonia with hydroxymethanesulfonate is mechanistically complicated, possibly involving decomposition to formaldehyde and reformation to the product (aminomethanesulfonate; shown below).15 The simplified overall reaction is believed to be:

NH3 + HOCH2SO3- � H2NCH2SO3- + H2O

Even more complicated is the reaction of hydroxymethanesulfonate with chloramine, or chlorine (as Cl2 or HOCl). In this case, the products that are formed have not been established.

So are these useful products? That is, do they eliminate all toxicity from chloramine and provide none of their own, either by themselves or through their degradation products? I cannot answer that question.............

cheers Darrel

The forum has done a lot of work on EI mixes, time for a new venture someone.
I use sodium thiosulfate to remove it, its very cheap and a little goes a very long way

Been doing some research on koi forums and there does seem a lot of doubt about the claimed chlorine removal effectiveness of in line dechlorinators. Several reports of effective removal of chlorine (verified by testing) only at miserly flow rates. Not great for aquaria, let alone koi ponds with capacities of 1000s of gallons!
Think my Oase dechlorinator might be staying in its box and going back to the retailer. I’ll re-invest the £99.99 in bottled dechlorinator. Any recommendations anyone?

Seachem prime. Costs a bit more to buy but price per dose is a lot less than other brands. 5ml treats 200L.

Great. Thanks John. Very difficult to compare brands as contents/concentrations not detailed so have to trust stated dosing regimes

Back