• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dead platy! Now otos are dying. Plz help!

Hi
Like I said they a quite fragile when first introduced in the tank.It may be eating boifilm from the glass.The fact that you cant see anything doesn't mean there is nothing for it to eat there.I usually dont wipw my back glass for them to eat from.You may try some algae wafer hikari have a good one and mine eat them.They need time to get used and start accepting different foods.May try to leave the veggies longer.Mine didn't touch the cucumber first 24 to 36 hours I put it in. But I dont give them anymore anyway.New redmoor wood when introdused to tank gets coverded in film and slime.They love it.Try putting few (one)small ones if U want but may stain the water brown.Try blanched courgette too if you want.If they have problem with oxygen they will take air from the surface now and then.What temperature U have in tank?
Regards Konsa

Hi
Like I said they a quite fragile when first introduced in the tank.It may be eating boifilm from the glass.The fact that you cant see anything doesn't mean there is nothing for it to eat there.I usually dont wipw my back glass for them to eat from.You may try some algae wafer hikari have a good one and mine eat them.They need time to get used and start accepting different foods.May try to leave the veggies longer.Mine didn't touch the cucumber first 24 to 36 hours I put it in. But I dont give them anymore anyway.New redmoor wood when introdused to tank gets coverded in film and slime.They love it.Try putting few (one)small ones if U want but may stain the water brown.Try blanched courgette too if you want.If they have problem with oxygen they will take air from the surface now and then.What temperature U have in tank?
Regards Konsa
Thx I will try. 25 c I have

I have recently put 3 in my tank 2 of them swim about almost playing while the other lays around on the floor at times. I keep thinking hes about to die but seems to carry on. So yours might be the same. Just give it time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just a quick update. After daily water changes, seems the fish are much happier, except one oto. It stuck on glass near on the top and it doesn't move much at all. His belly looks much smaller than others. It's actually really sad to watch him suffer like that. Not sure if anything can be done. I read somewhere if the bacteria in their somatic died, even if they eat, it won't be able to digest.

On the good side, we discovered 4 fish fry in the tank. It must got in when we bought the fish somehow. They are all growing bigger each day. Kids were sad to see fish dying, but also excited to see baby fish.

It sucks on the glass near to the top. Not eating at all.
As long as it sucks on whatever also the glass it is eating :) It eats off the biofilm on the glass.. Tho it might seem clean to you but there is a lot going on on there you wont see.

But as said, Oto's are delicate fish.. They are know to be difficult for a start and very sensitive to stress.. The moving and change from one environment to another can cause to much stress and they can die. It happens to a lot and it's unfortunately quite common a part of the group will not survive the first 6 weeks after introduction. There is not much other you can do than cross your fingers and wait it out.. Also i good thing to ask the LFS for how long they have been in, if the arrived the previous week it best to wait a few weeks longer and go back to see what is still available, buy only the active ones. Freshly arrived they are commonly way to stressed out to be moved again.

For the rest, if the tank is mature enough it can provide sufficient food for a small group of Oto's.. I had about a 7 of them and they even didn't tough the food i offered.. They were veruy happy with the algae (aufwuchs) and biofilm the tank provided by itself. :)

So I came home tonight and that Oto is died now. The other three seems happy. The water parameter is all good, no sign of nitrate. I did a 15% water change anyway just to give some freshness.

Thx for all your advise.

Back