• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dark start: Heated?

Phil Onion

So, I'm nearly at the point where I can place the hardscape, substrate and soil in the tank. As I'm not in a rush and the tank has its own room, I'm looking at doing a 'dark start'.

Question: does it matter if the heater is on or off? That might be a stupid question, but I wondered if the temperature would affect bacterial growth.

Cheers,

Phil

So, I'm nearly at the point where I can place the hardscape, substrate and soil in the tank. As I'm not in a rush and the tank has its own room, I'm looking at doing a 'dark start'.

Question: does it matter if the heater is on or off? That might be a stupid question, but I wondered if the temperature would affect bacterial growth.

Cheers,

Phil
Hi @Phil Onion I would run the heater at the level you plan for the tank when up and running... I am not entirely sure why you wouldn't? However, if the tank sits in a room heated close to the planned temperature of the tank then it might be a moot point.

Cheers,
Michael

Back