• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Daphnia OK with algae?

jameson_uk

My daphnia cultures are a bit neglected and seem to keep themselves ticking over without producing a huge amount.

Algae has been making a bit more of an appearance recently and probably down to my neglect, I picked out a massive lump (possibly BGA but certainly looked like the build up of hair you find in the shower plug ) from the bottom of container.

Just wondering whether it is good bad or indifferent leaving the algae in? I believe the daphnia feed from particles in the water column so won't directly feed off it but it might support other organisms that they might? On the other hand I thought it might reduce the oxygen levels in the water so wasn't sure whether to keep fishing it out when it makes an appearance or just leave it?

I'd just leave it as long as it's not filling the tub. I found leaf litter was good food without being too much maintenance.

Hi all,

/www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-clean-easy-and-highly-nutritious-greenwater-culture-for-daphnia-and-moina.64674/page-8#post-647064']I have a snail in the cultures"> [/URL]it definitely helps.

cheers Dapphnia
I have neglected them so there are probably far too many snails in there already!!!! (I put in a sprinkle of spirulina in earlier so they are clumping up)

a9fff2f8e5595e377d37d8f278f66d86.jpg

This is what was in one of the tubs this morning. I do see this appearing in some of my tanks from time to time, it is slimy and like removing hair from the shower plug hole. It has fine hair like threads that come out when you pull it but I can't seem to tie it back to any particular algae (more interested in dealing with it if it makes an appearance in my tanks again)

PXL_20211125_103225278.MP.jpg

PXL_20211125_103241030.MP.jpg

Back