• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dammit I'm going high-tech

Lisa_Perry75

Why why why.... I want to aquascape!!! I've put a bid on a 2/3 x 24W luminaire for the 60 x 35 x 40 tank I currently have. I have that D&D pressurised CO2 kit. Just need substrate, drop checker, perhaps a second diffuser, cover glass/acrylic... going to buy most from this ebayer. http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZadvance_aquarium_store

Shall I get small or medium diffuser, and pollen glass or not? Whats the difference?

I have a fluval 204 what lily pipes should I get? Do I have to buy new hosing? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lily-Pipe-inf...ryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lily-Pipe-inf...ryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have high fish load though so not sure what I should dose...

Hi Lisa,

Nice find on the ebay shop, thats go strait into my online shops folder in my favorites 8)
diffusers are abit of a mined field, depends on the quality of the ceramic plate. I have a fishvet glass diffuser, i think it was one of the first available over here at the time, and its great. If i was to recommend, ide say go for the pollen glass type, only because Ive seen George and Dans and they work fine.
For the Lilly pipes, check the filter tube diameters, but you can always buy diameter converters to make them fit. im not sure what the diameter is on the 204 tubing, sorry.

Great find all round though. The postage on some of the ADA stuff is abit steep though, almost as much as the product, sometimes more :wideyed:

Hi Graeme,
Np, I think they combine postage, so it might work out cheaper...

Mmm, I don't know about the 204 I really want lilly pipes!!! I bid on a 3 x 24 then realised it would give 3.7 wpg so am trying to change it to the 2 x 24 watt version but bid on one with 4 days to go not the 2 days to go one (blast!).

The good thing about the diffusers is they come in twos, perfect for one being left in bleach (is that what people do?!)!

Lisa

Depends, the fact they come in 2's is nice in that it means it doesn't matter when you shatter one like me.
Yeah leave them in the bleach solution 1:1 for 2 days then rinse rinse rinse and soak in dechlorinator mixed 1:1 until use then rinse rinse rinse and use.

What glassware are you bidding on, me George and others use rhinnox diffusers, I've heard the chisel type diffusers work really really well though, whether that's true or not I don't know but It seems to make sense.

I'm waiting until I find out about the lily pipes, then check valve and bubble counter, drop counter, and 2 x diffuser. I need some CO2 tubing too...

I'm going high tech soon too, looks like I'm in good company so I'll jump in with my question.
Garuf said:
Yeah leave them in the bleach solution 1:1 for 2 days then rinse rinse rinse and soak in dechlorinator mixed 1:1 until use then rinse rinse rinse and use.
This sounds like far too much trouble - isn't it easier to have an external reactor off the filter? I know you don't get the CO2 mist but so long as there is no algae and the plants are growing ok I'm not going to worry about a few mm growth more or less. Is there any reason other reason not to have an internal reactor?

I've got a tank about the same size as yours too but I find that 2x 24w is insufficient as my tank is 18" tall. The wpg works out to be 3wpg but only the tall plants starts pearling when they were close to the light. mid ground and foreground plant won't pearl at all. Looking at the CAU website, I will be upgrading mine to 4x 24w.

Most ceramic disc-type diffusers are similar in performance.

The size means than more or less of the plate emits bubbles. Larger tanks need bigger plates so the bubbles aren't 'forced' out making them larger. The smaller bubbles the better, as they diffuse and fly around the water column better.

More important is how the CO2 microbubbles are distributed.

This is one reason I have lots of flow in my tanks (rated 10x turnover).

Cleaning them is simple. I use a small qty. of 100% bleach in the small 'reservoir' above the ceramic disc. Just a few ml.

Wait for 10 mins or so.

Then rinse with plenty of tap water, being careful not to splash bleach on your nice clothes (bitter experience!)

Then add small qty. of 100% de-chlrinator for a minute or so.

Then rinse again.

Total cleaning time less than 15 minutes. I do it whilst I'm doing a water change.

I'm debating using my Dymax Ceramic Diffuser again - zip tie the CO2 line along the glass lily pipe and put the bubble output straight under the water flow, can't see how this would be a problem though not overly aestheticly pleasing. I don't like my Jaqno, a royal fiddle to refill when cleaning the filter out, stupid design if you ask me. I'd love someone to produce a cheap inline diffuser r.e. the CalAqua one (£65 and glass, I'll break it!), can't be too hard.

I notice AE have a power diffuser in (Eheim I think) for £5 but I have no concept how it works nor how it could work with lily pipes - if it could go inline instead of being at the output of the filter tube it would be a superb option.

Back