• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Daily vs weekly fert dosing

Arturosito

What's better and why? For comfort sake I dose with the EI regime after a 50% WC. I dose all in that same day. Are there advantages of dividing that dose into 7 and dose everyday?

I always wonder this, I guess daily causes less fluctuations in water chemistry, you don't have a big bulk of ferts, straight after a water change. My regime is daily, via dosing pumps.

I did see the man himself George Farmer, say dose daily to allow a slow drip feed to plants (or similar). Also some info here.

JBL fert dosing

I dose macros and micros weekly after water change and chelated iron every other day. I don’t buy the idea that steady daily dosing is preferable because plants prefer constant conditions. Plants in riverine habitat are subject to huge fluctuations of nutrients, temp and CO2 due to rainfall and runoff events.

I don’t buy the idea that steady daily dosing is preferable because plants prefer constant conditions. Plants in riverine habitat are subject to huge fluctuations of nutrients, temp and CO2 due to rainfall and runoff events.

Yes very true, maybe plants can thrive, whatever way nutrients are obtained, as long as they are there. Although In the aquarium environment, you're not always trying to mimic nature exactly and scientifically, it makes more sense to keep things as consistent. I.e people dose CO2 daily, rather than weekly. Consistant photoperiod, non-seasonal, every day.

I suspect if you dose manually, you are more likely to do this weekly, if it's auto via a pump, probably more likely daily? Is this a massive assumption?

Last edited:
How do you know 7 times daily ei ferts is safe for fish & inverts?
Ei is supposed to maintain a high non limiting but safe % of ferts. All in one go sounds like a bad idea imo

Perfect for creating a algea farm too i would think.

How do you know 7 times daily ei ferts is safe for fish & inverts?
Ei is supposed to maintain a high non limiting but safe % of ferts. All in one go sounds like a bad idea imo

Perfect for creating a algea farm too i would think.
I don't know, but the reason I started this thread is that I see an increase of algae after 3 days of dosing which makes me think ferts are not being used up as effectively as the first few days, and from what I read, ferts exponentially decrease or can't be used up effectively at the end of the week if dosed once a week. I read that on the JBL website as well.

I don't know, but the reason I started this thread is that I see an increase of algae after 3 days of dosing which makes me think ferts are not being used up as effectively as the first few days, and from what I read, ferts exponentially decrease or can't be used up effectively at the end of the week if dosed once a week. I read that on the JBL website as well.
More likely reversed. Algea feasts for 3 days, grows and you see it.

I don't think it matters massively whether you dose weekly or daily, just whatever works for you and more importantly which one you are most likely to stick to.

I dose daily but it is all too easy for me to forget to dose unless I set reminders and alarms :)

I have also been advised to change my daily regime to 2 or 3 times a week only, because it will help the red plants! If they have a constant daily feed they will just have a tendency of remaining green, if they start starving of some nutrients they will start going redder quicker. I am changing my dosing frequency at the weekend ;)

Thats interesting paulo is this common i am folling EI recommendations and dosing daily and 1 day off but less frequent would be easier once down to 1 water change a week.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back