• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Daft co2 idea?

Aqua360

Hi guys,

I recently started my journal for my Flexi Mini scape set, and as it stands I'm at the current roadblock of sorting out pressurised co2 for it.

In amongst the different options, I've had a bit of an idea and wanted to run it by the forum for obstacles, of which there are probably many lol.

Anyway, I've got one of those Fluval 20 diffuser co2 sets, the ones that run on the tiny 16g cartridges that you fill up then let diffuse slowly. I know they aren't that effective, but how would this fare if the cartridge was attached to a nano diffuser?

I imagine the first hurdle is that perhaps the tiny regulator isn't supposed to take continual pressure (as small as that may be), the second is how long it would last, at approximately 1 bubbles every 3 seconds I'd estimated a 16g cartridge to last for a week, but I'm dubious. The way I arrived at this hypothesis was looking at the tropica co2 nano kit, which estimates a 95g cylinder to last 50 days or so at a rate of 18 bubbles per minute. If my math is off here, apologies in advance!
Thirdly, there's the problem of adjusting, which is likely to become tiring, very quickly.

Basically the idea for this has came about as a budget saver at the moment, but if its too much hassle i'll just save aside for a regular system. I also quite like the small size.

I should add for clarity, what I'm suggesting is replacing the plastic in-tank diffuser box, with a diffuser for continual pressure, if that makes sense.

i think you'd struggle to keep anything close to a consistent output and would probably do more harm than good trying to use a nano diffuser with that regulator, would be interesting to see if it would generate enough pressure to run one as well since it's not adjustable

i think you'd struggle to keep anything close to a consistent output and would probably do more harm than good trying to use a nano diffuser with that regulator, would be interesting to see if it would generate enough pressure to run one as well since it's not adjustable

yeah, tbf I've had the thing lying around and I'm always looking for a chance to use it, I reckon the chances of it working are slim, it would be pretty nifty otherwise. Tempted to just try it, as if it fails i'll simply get a different regulator and use the other parts anyway...watch this space lol.

I think your point about pressure adjustment highlights a critical factor

I love the look of the nano kits and would love to be proven wrong! After going over every option before i got into CO2, I just resigned myself to the go all out or don't bother way of thinking as i cause myself enough headaches trying to balance everything without that as well lol

I love the look of the nano kits and would love to be proven wrong! After going over every option before i got into CO2, I just resigned myself to the go all out or don't bother way of thinking as i cause myself enough headaches trying to balance everything without that as well lol

I like the look of the co2 supermarket nano kit, but it comes out at £170 or something, which I can't yet get over lol, £87 for the mini regulator and solenoid.

I think its a bit of wishful thinking with the nano kits, as you said, i'll probably end up going back to a sodastream set-up, had one previously, its just ugly as hell

Hi i am quite new to the co2 set up....and too looked at all sorts of cheap set ups....but in the end i got a decent duel stage regulater - expensive yes but hopefully long lasting!!...also i was very tentative about the whole thing but just went mad and ordered a 2 kg fire extinguisher for the regulator....
It’s been running approx 9 hr a day for last three months on a 20 uk gallon tank and the tanks pressure has only just started going down from its original 850 psi at room temp to about 775-800 currently. The fire extinguisher new was £28 including shipping off amazon.co.uk!
If you find a refilled willing to refill fire extinguishers its from what I believe approx £10 per refill....
Doing the math it’s quickly realised as a no brainier.....the small kits are eventually a money pit!!!
Also its worth getting the regulator solenoid for auto timing (i use a cheap wilco timer £5) it takes all the guess work out and give consistency too...
Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

Hi i am quite new to the co2 set up....and too looked at all sorts of cheap set ups....but in the end i got a decent duel stage regulater - expensive yes but hopefully long lasting!!...also i was very tentative about the whole thing but just went mad and ordered a 2 kg fire extinguisher for the regulator....
It’s been running approx 9 hr a day for last three months on a 20 uk gallon tank and the tanks pressure has only just started going down from its original 850 psi at room temp to about 775-800 currently. The fire extinguisher new was £28 including shipping off amazon.co.uk!
If you find a refilled willing to refill fire extinguishers its from what I believe approx £10 per refill....
Doing the math it’s quickly realised as a no brainier.....the small kits are eventually a money pit!!!
Also its worth getting the regulator solenoid for auto timing (i use a cheap wilco timer £5) it takes all the guess work out and give consistency too...
Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the info :)

Yeah I just wish I could use the little cartridges, I used to have a sodastream with dual gauge and solenoid etc, lasted me months per bottle; but I was just hoping to avoid something bulky again.

I might mess around and see what I can do with this lol

When i first started with co2 i tried to use a disposable mini kit, its was terrible, couldn't control co2 rate, the regulator leaked and a ran thru 6 bottle of the tiny disposable co2 in no time and probably caused more harm than good with fluctuating co2 levels, I would just do it right the first time, get a decent regulator and big bottle and not have to worry about co2 for along time!

When i first started with co2 i tried to use a disposable mini kit, its was terrible, couldn't control co2 rate, the regulator leaked and a ran thru 6 bottle of the tiny disposable co2 in no time and probably caused more harm than good with fluctuating co2 levels, I would just do it right the first time, get a decent regulator and big bottle and not have to worry about co2 for along time!

yeah, I think that's what would happen tbh, ah well one can dream haha.

Have a read around the web before picking up the Fluval mini CO2 :)

Example

At the Tropica Nano level, there are a few options - Tropica's diffuser is surprisingly decent, needle valve definitely better than Fluval version (I picked up a couple on super clearance)
Just buy from a shop that's going to stand behind the sale in case of any issue (online price is often least unless you need to start shipping back & forth over warranty issues)

Back