• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cycling a planted tank

Valleyglow

I am a newbie and going to attempt my first aquascape. Im not using media from my current community tank as I've recently treated it for flukes.

Im finding conflicting information about cycling a planted aquascape and people are telling me that you should not cycling a tank with plants?

I was planning on doing large water changes etc.

Any help please

Hi all,
Im finding conflicting information about cycling a planted aquascape and people are telling me that you should not cycling a tank with plants?
You are in the right place, and you definitely don't need to add ammonia <"to "cycle" a planted tank">. It <"doesn't do any good"> and it may actually delay your tank becoming fish safe.

You just need to plant it and then wait for the plants to grow in. <"Plant/ microbe biofiltration"> is much, much more effective than <"microbe only" biofiltration">, but a lot of people still don't understand this.

Have a look at <"Dr Tim Hovanec's...."> it is quite along thread, but it covers the subject in some detail.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Im being told that the ammonia spikes will melt the plants?
Yes, it can do, it might also stimulate algae growth.

The main issue is just the <"actual level of ammonia">. Scientists have found that the bacteria that were thought to be present in aquarium filters <"aren't found there">, but a lot of novel organisms are present.

Have a look at the linked threads, they are well worth a read.

cheers Darrel

Back